Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to tell if a LSD is working

red truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY one tonner / gen3 / 6speed
My sons' VY one tonner is supposed to have a LSD in it from the factory, but the previous owner put a lower ratio diff centre in it.
I suspect that either the new diff is not a LSD, or it is stuffed. We had one back wheel jacked up today to change a tyre, and noticed that the wheel was free to turn.
Is this a true indication that the LSD is non existant (or buggered) or does the diff have to spin up under power a bit before it starts to lock up?
With a LSD the car should drive off the jack, but didn't wanna try this in case it mangled the jack.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
sounds like either the lsd is stuffed or its got a single spinner in it. you could maybe test by doing a burnout on a dirt patch somewhere lol

SamboA31

-=OBSERD=-
Reaction score
Members Ride
A31 Cefiro
only way i can tell is to jack the car up at the rear and spin the wheel with your hand and if the other wheel spins the oppisite way then its LSD haha theres prob better ways but thats how i tell :yeah:

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
only way i can tell is to jack the car up at the rear and spin the wheel with your hand and if the other wheel spins the oppisite way then its LSD haha theres prob better ways but thats how i tell :yeah:

None. It's the other way around. If both wheels spin in the same direction when turing one then it's LSD.

red truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY one tonner / gen3 / 6speed
Have found a complete rear axle assembly at a wrecker in Sydney to suit a tonner (live axle), but the donor tonner is a V6 auto. Wrecker says they are the same as the V8 manual, but ...wreckers..mmmmmmmm

Can anyone confirm if the diff is the same?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Yeah i got a 96 VS Acclaim II, anyone able to tell me if I got an LSD or how to find out?? :S

I highly doubt you have an LSD. They were an option on the Acclaims but most of the Acclaims went to families. So unless you car is optioned with some other stuff dont get your hopes up.

Have found a complete rear axle assembly at a wrecker in Sydney to suit a tonner (live axle), but the donor tonner is a V6 auto. Wrecker says they are the same as the V8 manual, but ...wreckers..mmmmmmmm

Can anyone confirm if the diff is the same?

Doesnt sound right. Have someone else confirm though im not 100% sure.