Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to tell if HDT starforms are genuine?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I wouldn't say they're knock offs just yet, as above the "made in japan" and the JIL/JU logo casting (or whatever it is) near the valve is only on half decent alloy rims.

No tap on weights (only stick ons) is a good sign they weren't cheap rims.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
yeah i noticed the JWL stamp and looked into it a bit.

"JWL" (Japan Light Wheel Alloy) is a compilation of standards defined by the Japanese Government to ensure the vehicle's safety for aluminum road wheels.

Tells me that they're probably not super cheap crap but still doesn't make me 100% they're not knock offs, the main thing leading me to think they're fake's is that they're the wrong size so i might make some calls tomorrow and suss that out. another thing i was debating about was that they appeared to be a fully painted face but upon further inspection they actually do have the polished lip and painted spokes like the genuines have so that's making me feel a bit better. and the build number thing is kinda telling me something, pretty sure i've never had that on any of the 5+ other sets of rims i've had o_O

this is proving painful to research lol i might even try call up some reputable wheel shops and see if any of them can point me in the right direction or on a long shot might try find someone with a definite genuine set and see if they can give me some pics or just detailed explanations on there's to compare to my own :/ but thanks heaps for all the help so far everyone, I really appreciate it! any other suggestions would be great! will keep you's posted if i find out any solid info :)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Where you are guestimating the width with whatever is not a definite width either, you need to strip the tyre off and measure inside both lips that the tyre bead sits against, i'd guess they are fairly thick going on the info so far.

Theoretically the sum of both sides could easily equal 2.5cm (1 inch), subtracted from your guestimate of 8" would be 7"
Don't strip the tyre yourself and make sure whoever you get to takes alot of care in doing so, in case they are legit, make them use a lip shield/guard like they would on a 35 profile 20"

Probably not the correct term for the thick piece of plastic that is placed on the rim to stop the lever scratching a mag, will see if i can find out the exact name for it.

Last edited:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Where you are guestimating the width with whatever is not a definite width either, you need to strip the tyre off and measure inside both lips that the tyre bead sits against, i'd guess they are fairly thick going on the info so far.

Theoretically the sum of both sides could easily equal 2.5cm (1 inch), subtracted from your guestimate of 8" would be 7"

^this. cast wheels tend to have fairly thick bead edges

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
that's all a great point, i'll be sure to get one stripped asap and suss it out. though I double checked it against another 17x8 rim i had sitting here and came up pretty much the same but in saying all of that it was a cheap crappy rim and the lips on it are only about 8mm or so, so i'll definitely be getting a tire stripped to double check :)

In saying that though it was 8.5" or a touch more wide from each outter edge so would therefore have to be a 16-19mm lip per side to bring it back to a 7" but i'll suss it out either way and get a definitive answer :)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Just raided the scrap pile, rim with JWL cast has a 15mm thick outer lip (and it's from a post 2000 toyota... no date casting but i know it was from a newish car 3-4 years ago).

20160302_212625_zpsakznqez5.jpg

20160302_212649_zpsxtewipbi.jpg

Well i learnt something new, JWL... and what it stands for.

Last edited:

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
o_O holy jesus, alrighty i'll head down and get one stripped tomorrow sometime and have a look!

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Now I might been looking into this too far, but going by the https://hdt.com.au/showroom/vn/vn-aero/ every picture that has the HDT logo on it has the printing running the other way and always opposite the valve stem. One picture has no logo at all.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
that's a great point but in saying that the stickers on the ones i have sitting here are immaculate so i'm going to assume they've been replaced at some point, in saying that they might be original stickers from those rims if the rims aren't genuine and not very old, who knows :S i might have to get back onto HDT at some point and see if they've had any progress, the guy sounded pretty interested/inclined to help so unless it's slipped someones mind i'm guessing they're having as much trouble as we are :/

On the removing tyres and checking width subject unfortunately on the way home from dropping the missus off at work this morning my s13 dropped all of its coolant, mind you a tight engine bay isn't fun to work in nor are parts easy to get so was pretty well stranded today and more focused on fixing the damn rice rocket, parts are ordered and will be fixed tomorrow and then will get a tire stripped!