Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to tell if something is asbestos??

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
pre 1995, could have aspestos, pre 1985, almost definitly has aspestos. Get a bit tested (you should be able to find places that test it in the yellow pages)

If it is aspestos, then if you're removing a large qty of it, then you need it done by a licenced person.

Have a look here for a bit more info Fibro and Asbestos - A Renovator and Homeowner's Guide | NSW Government

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
ok so does anyone know where there is a place i can get it tested in sydney? preferably in the south?

ozz

Reaction score
I have posted a few times but i dont think the pub adds to your post count.
nd yeah it was a joke, the question just reminded me of a time at work, cutting through cement sheeting, someone asked if it was asbestos and without thinking "it doesnt smell like asbestos..."

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Does it smell like asbestos?

First post on this forum and it's just the most dumbest thing anyone has ever said... I hope your next one is better. :(

Dr HaxZaw ... If you have any doubt get a pro to remove it.... not worth you life.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Yeah and its only Monday ha ha

Gold!

This reminds me of a Chich and Chong scene. If anyone remembers when they were walking down the road and came across dog poo. "Looks like dog ****, smells like dog ****, tastes like dog ****. Good thing we no step in it"

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby
Hey m8,i did asbestos removal for a year and most of the sheeting you will come across will be bonded( non-friable) and can be taken off with a suit and a half faced mask..It has to be double bagged in poly bags which are printed with asbestos on them.
be aware of any friable asbestos in ceilings or wall cavaty's if its pre 85..get a sample of the wall sheets to make sure..if it is, plastic of any adjoining doorways/windows to stop any dust from entering rooms/outside area.the bonded sheets arent that harmfull in itself when u pull them off as the fibres are moulded in the actual sheeting..its only when u cut ur burn the sheeting that u release the fibres in the air..any other questions m8 inbox me ya number and ill give ya some tips..o and i do have my bonded/friable ticket : )

heres a link of a mob in sydney that do testing and stuff:
http://www.safeenvironments.com.au/asbestos-check/

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Unsure if this has been suggested but hold your lighter to a small piece. If it burns it most probably is not asbestos.

My understanding is that asbestos does not burn, thought that was the main point of it? Then again, could very well be wrong! Get it checked as suggested.

EDIT: On second thought, do not try that. It may release the fibers into the air......

Last edited:

flyreels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
In the building industry pre 85 nearly every sheeting product contained asbestos my mate and I worked side by side in the stuff and he has at best 2 months to live and he is only 48, dont take a chance get it checked.
Cheers pete