Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to tell LSD diff

mad.mike08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon, hot cam exstrators, 7th injector, etc
my VL dose twin spins :thumbsup:evey time and its a 3Ltr with rear drum brakes, i find it had to beleve that it mite be LSD. its not locked it gos around corners sweat as. just wont to no if any knows how to tell LSD without taking cover off

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Look for a tag on the back of the diff that should have some details or jack both back wheels up off the ground and spin them if both wheels turn in one direction then its a LSD if one wheel turns one way and the other the a different direction the its a standard diff.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
also you can jack up 1 rear wheel so no damage will be done if car moves forward and try to drive forward, you have a working LSD if it moves

I had a car with LSD and it wasnt until I got bogged that I realised the LSD wasnt working anymore

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
just jack it up from the centre and turn one wheel, if the other one turns its an LSD.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
when you jack the car up spin one of the wheels if the other side turns the same direction then its a LSD if it turns the opposite way then its not a lsd

mad.mike08

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers guys, it not LSD wheel spins opposite way. dont no why it dose twin spins, maybe its on its way out, good excuse to updat to a LSD. i can get hold of a VP LSD with disks cheap cheap will it fit into my VL 3Ltr 5speed rear drums

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
they spin both wheels when traction is low like in the wet or on grass.

mad.mike08

Reaction score
Members Ride
both spin every time on tarseal, 1 going sideways sometime but mostly 2. wheel bearings are stuffed dont no if this would curse this