Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to turn off the 'auto engine off' feature

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
Is it possible to disable this marketing feature? When I stop at the lights I don't want my ZB to turn the engine off, each time this happens it equates to the fuel consumption of 10mins idling and I stop at a fair amount of lights :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
drive it into a creek, pretty sure these are "features" that can't be over ridden.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
each time this happens it equates to the fuel consumption of 10mins idling

Are you sure of this, modern start stops have beefy starter motors. Its not the same as manually doing it in older cars.

Most cars have a button which stops it, but generally only that trip, looks for a button with an A in a circular arrow. I'm not sure many cars have an option to disable it permanently though.

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
Are you sure of this, modern start stops have beefy starter motors. Its not the same as manually doing it in older cars.

Most cars have a button which stops it, but generally only that trip, looks for a button with an A in a circular arrow. I'm not sure many cars have an option to disable it permanently though.

Thanks, I have gone through the computer and no mention of it... perhaps you cant disable it.

I got the info from this guy about fuel:

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
When I want to learn how to use or disable features on a new vehicle I read the owner's manual supplied with it, rather than watch a video by a self-proclaimed B. S. TECH.

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
When I want to learn how to use or disable features on a new vehicle I read the owner's manual supplied with it, rather than watch a video by a self-proclaimed B. S. TECH.

Thats a great idea and thanks for those kind words.

Page 246 of the manual indicates that there is a button with an "A" near the traction control option :confused:

All sorted!

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Thanks, I have gone through the computer and no mention of it... perhaps you cant disable it.

I got the info from this guy about fuel:

I watched the first 2mins before I got annoyed..

As I said, the starter motor system has been beefed up to take account of the workload it has. John T's 30 year old car will be very different.
He is right that it doesn't actually save much fuel, a lot of the benefit is reduced emissions in built up areas.
The first diesel with stop start I drove was horrendous, they are much better now.

The real benefit comes with mild hybrids where the engine cuts out below 20kph say, and regens on the braking. This can bring appreciable economy benefits by avoiding the initial pull away on ICE. My previous car was a PHEV which took it one step further again. Averaged 42MPG (6.7l/100km) in a 280bhp 2.0 turbo petrol. Still averaged 38MPG with (expensive) electric costs included

re. the buttons a quick look on car sales pics shows a likely looking button in front of the gear lever, in the shadow next to the parallel park button?

41gi212c00i4nt396p1an7d0x.jpg

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
I watched the first 2mins before I got annoyed..

As I said, the starter motor system has been beefed up to take account of the workload it has. John T's 30 year old car will be very different.
He is right that it doesn't actually save much fuel, a lot of the benefit is reduced emissions in built up areas.
The first diesel with stop start I drove was horrendous, they are much better now.

The real benefit comes with mild hybrids where the engine cuts out below 20kph say, and regens on the braking. This can bring appreciable economy benefits by avoiding the initial pull away on ICE. My previous car was a PHEV which took it one step further again. Averaged 42MPG (6.7l/100km) in a 280bhp 2.0 turbo petrol. Still averaged 38MPG with (expensive) electric costs included

re. the buttons a quick look on car sales pics shows a likely looking button in front of the gear lever, in the shadow next to the parallel park button?

41gi212c00i4nt396p1an7d0x.jpg

That's spot on, I found it :)

It is here:

IMG-0059.jpg