Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV brakes vs. SS on VY's

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
It's a huge difference. You also have the option of pbr base model HSV brakes (2 pot) or the Harrop 4 pot.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Once you use proper brakes (4 pot and up) you will wonder why you haven't done it earlier. The difference in the standard brakes on my Mrs Calais compared to my AP Racing brakes on the ute is chalk and cheese. Not even in the same league.

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Are you using the car on track? If not and its just your daily driver i wouldnt waste your money.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Yeah just a daily, no track work. The reason i am think about this upgrade is that i like the look of the up rated brakes over the standard SS.
If you want them just to fill your wheels better than just pick a second hand set up when there available. If you need more braking a good pad upgrade like Bendix ultimate's and some Motul or similar fluid should enough for street use even strip use. They have those fake Brembo caliper covers on flea bay but just don't ever go there lol.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
The stock brakes are awful even with standard horsepower. Holden used the same standard brakes in the V6 and V8
When I get in dad's vx I feel like the brakes are almost stuffed because the pedal feels soft and dull and it is only a V6. Really have to stand on the anchors to stop hard.
Doesn't feel safe. The big brakes are so much nicer. Made the car feel like it was meant to if you ask me. Second best mod after the blower.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Holden used C4/C5 PBR/Girlock calipers on all there VT-VZ models and I think the size of discs on the SS's were 289mm(F)/215mm(R)... with very crappy/cheap pads.

HSV on the other hand went for the C6 corvette as standards with 330mm(F)/300mm(R) for the VT-VZ models which are not that bad and would even go as far as to recommend the HSV C6 callipers/discs/pads over stock.... but would not trade them in for my 6/4spot APRacing upgrade. :D

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Stock brakes are fine if you put a better pad in. Im running bendix metal and tow a 2 ton boat. Stops on a dime. Each to there own though i guess.

gmwarrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS 5.7 M6
Thats good to know, I thought my VU SS needed a brake flush, but I think it won't get much better then.