Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV double-row timing chain vs timing gears

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
True. Ever since Brock (and many others) died at Bathurst in 1985 (?) thru timing chain failure GM homologated double row chains on all the GPA cars. I'd be suprised if HSV didn't run them in all their engines.

Reaper

And I would honestly be surprised if anyone could show me an EFI 5L with a single row chain as standard. There's a fair few threads about it over on SC, the general consensus is that they were double row from VN onwards.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Timing gears will always keep the cam timing true hence no chains to stretch or break. Most drives arnt adjustable without spending a fortune therefore cant easly adjust cam timing. They will outlast any chain setup. The only down side really is the noise and the risk of defects which is why i removed my gear drive and bought timing chain setup.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
That website you posted was a really good read, got any more :)
No I haven't mate, which is a shame because I found it fascinating! It does have a lot of good info. I found it by accident through some google search or other..
Timing gears will always keep the cam timing true hence no chains to stretch or break. Most drives arnt adjustable without spending a fortune therefore cant easly adjust cam timing. They will outlast any chain setup. The only down side really is the noise and the risk of defects which is why i removed my gear drive and bought timing chain setup.
This is the first time I've heard anything good about timing gears. Most people have been telling me they'll wear out before a chain would, they put a lot of metal in the oil, etc etc...

btw Reaper, no hard feelings from my dump pipes rant :)

Nos_VQ

Hot Rod Metal Fabricator
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VH wagon, 54 Plymouth
Never had a problem with timing gears. Have heard bad reports about them but never experienced anything bad myself. In early days you had to modify the oiler so it redirected the flow of oil onto the gear drive, and failure to do that would cause damage as you would expect. Other reason for failure was cheap inferior gear drives. Peter jackson gear drives are the only ones I have used in any of my motors.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
No I haven't mate, which is a shame because I found it fascinating! It does have a lot of good info. I found it by accident through some google search or other..

This is the first time I've heard anything good about timing gears. Most people have been telling me they'll wear out before a chain would, they put a lot of metal in the oil, etc etc...

btw Reaper, no hard feelings from my dump pipes rant :)

No worries - I had forgotten about it to be honest. (I am happy to say my piece and then move on).

I seem to remember replacing fiberous gears on old 202's but can't remember if it was for the camshaft or distributor. All the old red 6's had them and they ran fine right up to the time they disintegrated into the sump. They used the fiberous stuff to cut down on noise and the aluminium ones we replaced them with were quite loud in comparrison.

I really can't see a problem using a double row timing chain for most applications. A chain would have to do a *lot* of km before any stretch would make a noticable difference to most engines. It would fall into the catagory of periodic maintenance for race engines. When you replace the camshaft, do the timing chain as you would the lifters.

Reaper

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Never had a problem with timing gears. Have heard bad reports about them but never experienced anything bad myself. In early days you had to modify the oiler so it redirected the flow of oil onto the gear drive, and failure to do that would cause damage as you would expect. Other reason for failure was cheap inferior gear drives. Peter jackson gear drives are the only ones I have used in any of my motors.

Thats exactly why they have a bad rep. I was running a PJ to.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I'll have to find out what brand mine is/are/whatever... they were on the car before I got my hands on it :)

That redirecting the oil flow thing, do I need to worry about that with the 5L? I guarantee it hasn't been done, the guy installed them himself. :s

Cheers for the info
Sam

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
I use Double Row From RollMaster with Kilkenny Casting Timing Cover,was thinking gilmer but decided againt's it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i've also heard that timing gears aren't compatible with knock sensors as the PCM will think it's knocking/pinging etc not a problem unless you have an HSV or have fitted a knock sensor.

strangly enough, my VH 308 has double row timing chain on it and it looks factory to me although i have replaced it with a new one many years ago