Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Introduces Limited Edition "GTS Maloo"

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Apparently Ford will sell the new Mustang alongside the outgoing Falcon... I know it's a Coupe vs. Sedan/Ute thing but it waters down their offering of performance cars. I don't understand that strategy other than the continuity factor.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
When a company makes a real collectors car it can be driven all you like and resale won't matter because it is that rare.
There are only a handful of modern examples.
I'd classify the likes of those super low number lamborghinis, the Lexus LFA, Alfa 8c, etc...

I will guarantee you that any of the above with 150,000km on it would be crucified value wise compared to their low km rivals. Make no mistake this GTS ute is just as collectable, as is the GTS and any of the Group A specials, L34, A9X and GTHO Falcons. The only difference is the price point. One thing that will bring things down bigtime for any of them that were driven significant km is that because so many will be in private collections with ultra low km on them (thus supply will be relatively high as a ratio of total cars built) they will be smashed even more down the track.

Like pretty much any car (this includes the exotics - possibly almost moreso for them), these are not bought for making money in the most part - they will be lucky to appreciate in value in the first 10 years and around the 5 year mark will see them at rock bottom. It's only when they become roughly a 15+ year car that things seem to appreciate over their original price by any significant amount. That makes it a very long term investment with a lot of outgoings and high risk in the interim before any return. Not a smart option financially.

You'd pay Bondi Beach house prices for a Ferrari Daytona and the miles racked up would be inconsequential.

The Daytona is over 40 years old now. As time goes on km's get less and less important. What is certain however, is that if you presented a documented low KM un-restored Daytona in immaculate condition against a car with un-verified km and/or restored - it's not hard to work out which one would cream the other for bragging rights at Mecums (or wherever). It is important to note however that anybody who bought them new and was trying to off load it in the late 70's and early 80's took a bath and a half on their sale price (check my previous paragraph).

Shedding the GTS Maloo would be such a shame and in my humble opinion, a fools investment. It would be like having a sham marriage with Jennifer Hawkins - great to brag to your mates but you've got no idea what's under the hood either.

Clearly you are unable to do any objective analysis what so ever on this subject as your prejudices are very much clouding your judgement.

I read in street commodores years ago the most rare commodore ever made were 2 vn group a's that were Bathurst tooheys 1000 specials. From memory I think they were both black in colour and they had certain features that were only available on these two cars. don't hold me to it as I read this over 8 or 9 years ago.

I wonder how much these would be worth now or if people just look at them like any group a?

They were the black Strathfield give away cars and as strike said - they were painted black afterwards although it's about as close to a factory mod that you can get. The stocker did change hands not so long ago and I can't for the life of me remember how much it got. Not much more than a normal Group A in good condition from memory.

Or maybe they won't be around as long as envisaged and this is the last hero car.

Then again, there could well be another one or more hero cars to come.....coz mighty dollar.

Last scheduled production day is 16 Dec 2016 however that is very much subject to review as it gets closer.

Ford will shut before Holden, have you seen the updated Falcon that is coming out? No wonder they cant sell cars.
Maybe HSV/GMH are just wetting our appetite for a real swan song vehicle????
Can only hope.

There are persistent rumours of a LSA Senator coming out of Clayton as well.

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Reap group A's were done by Tooheys. I saw the standard one for sale for $110K about 2 years ago.

SnowDoggyDogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I guess I'm just from the Ferris Bueller school of thought when it comes to car ownership.
I do watch a lot of Mecum's and most of the car nuts really go wild for cars with some back story or heritage like it won these races or Peter Brock owned and conceived his kids in the back seat, etc.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Reap group A's were done by Tooheys. I saw the standard one for sale for $110K about 2 years ago.

:bang: Yeah it was Tooheys. Dunno where I got Strathfield from. I found the add. My memory is getting worse. I'd be amazed if it sold for that much.

Document51.jpg

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If Holden can be believed, the VF still has over two years of production to run. I can't believe that the GTS Maloo will be the last of the HSV specials. As the end of production draws closer, watch out for a real "end of production" special, from HSV.

SnowDoggyDogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
There are 4 FPV GTF for sale on carsales with the most expensive asking $185k.
A certain line from 'The Castle' comes to mind...

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
There are 4 FPV GTF for sale on carsales with the most expensive asking $185k.
A certain line from 'The Castle' comes to mind...
A few have already sold for well over the ticket price.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
If Holden can be believed, the VF still has over two years of production to run. I can't believe that the GTS Maloo will be the last of the HSV specials. As the end of production draws closer, watch out for a real "end of production" special, from HSV.

I expect them to start doing what Ford is doing and chucking left over motors in everything and anything.

Picking up a XR6T soonish will net you a nice FPV motor.

Last year of Holden there will be more LSA HSVs and LS3 SS's than you can poke a stick at.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I expect them to start doing what Ford is doing and chucking left over motors in everything and anything.

Picking up a XR6T soonish will net you a nice FPV motor.

Last year of Holden there will be more LSA HSVs and LS3 SS's than you can poke a stick at.
XR6T engine and F6 are the same, just sayin' lol.