Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV l.e.d tail lamps installed , quick question

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
hey guys i just installed the hsv LED tail lamps on my ssv , they work perfectly , just getting the message in the centre dash screen warning saying check brake lights. just wanted to know is there something obvious showing this warning ? only thing i could think of is do they require a different fuse or does the car battery need to be reset to learn the new hardware fitted ?

thanks if anyone can shed some light . cheers

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
,,, you took away the brake light! An LED is not a brake light globe.

So you will continue to get this message unless you trick the computer
Talk to the seller or your dealer

HITMANGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 GTS PHANTOM BLACK
just add in a 12v LED resister, makes the car think its still using normal globes, this should solve that problem, can get at any auto shop

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Hi, Check in your owners manual.
There should be a procedure to calibrate the Brake/ Tail lamps failure warning system.
It involves the BCM measuring the current drawn by your rear lamps and using that figure to compare to that when a lamp fails..
An led draws much less current than a normal lamp and will upset the ma figure stored in the BCM.

bradles024

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR8
Did this when I put led lights on my ute, make sure you read the instructions as they're wired differently than what I would have thought.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Did this when I put led lights on my ute, make sure you read the instructions as they're wired differently than what I would have thought.
Interesting!! The resistor would have to be installed across the load not in series with it. I could be wrong here.
Actually I'm thinking about buying LED or SS-V tail lights from fley bay. I like the SS-V tail lights with the black surrounds around them. I think they would contrast very well with a white car and look good.

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
thanks for the replies , how does this resistor connect up . just looked at the bay link posted , does that apply to using it for the tail lamps or only wedge bulbs , as it states to use it in a wedge , will that rectify the tail lamp problem ?.

will this be suitable ?

2X LED Warning Canceller 501 T10 W5W Wedge NO Canbus OBC Error Load Resistor | eBay

thanks

I dont know what connector you have on the LED Tailights, but if they fit the stock T20 connector, then you will actually need something like:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T20-7440...er-Load-Resistor-Decoder-12V-8W-/131190047677

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Standard bulb =30w, this gives both light and heat. A load resistor has to do the same thing, but without the light part. These things get hot. don't cheap out on the resistors, I've heard many bad things with cheap ebay resistors burning out, melting wiring etc. Get a good branded one, and if it has mounts, mount them to metal to help dissipate heat.

Another option is to leave a normal bulb in the parcel shelf, this may help stop the error (did on my vs)