Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Oil gauge

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 clubby w/Ls3, 05 VZ Lumina
Hi all, just got home from a day out and noticed that my oil pressure gauge has gone crazy (it's all the way up to 8) :eek: and it's twitching and hovering around the 6 oçlock mark on the gauge,what's wrong...has the sender shite itself or is the gauge dodgy?
Also have no clue where the sender is located ,also is there a way to test the gauge and/or sender
Thanks

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
in the ve the hsv gauges run of "can" from the ecu, if its flat out sounds like the sender could be at fault but im not sure if they get signal from the oil sender at the back of the engine or if there is another one for the pressure to the ecu, there is a sensor on the drivers side middle of the sump which might be oil temp and maby pressure aswell, i havnt hurd about many failing tho, but the oil sender at the back of the engine are a bit more common to fail but it might be low oil light only...

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 clubby w/Ls3, 05 VZ Lumina
Thankx for the speedy response.....is there a way to test the gauge like in the old day's were we earthed (I think) the sender or added power, not sure...electrical is not my forte

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
it is controlled by the ecu so if u know what the readings are going to the ecu then u could test it, or another way is if u take the pod gauges out and get to the back of them they will be plugged in series loop in and loop out to each of the three gauges if u unplug the volt gauge plug and plug it into the oil gauge when u turn the key on to ignition it should read like a volt gauge so if 12v is straight up the pointer will go straight up that means the gauge is working, hope that makes sense...