Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV suspension mounting difference?

LJW-SVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ ute 6spd
So in the market for coilovers for my VF ute (2016 SSV), have settled on BC Racing BR series since they best suit my needs and budget. The question is though, that BC has 2 different BR options listed for the VF chassis. ZW-04-RN (Holden VF) and ZW-07-RN (HSV VF). Both are the same price, both appear to be exactly the same, but what I can’t figure out is why they would be different part numbers

HSVs being 99% the same basic architecture as the “standard” VF chassis, surely HSV shocks don’t mount any differently to standard equipment? I asked BC Racing directly on the difference and they couldn’t give me an answer. Does anyone know for a fact if they’re the same with just different spring rates or something like that?

I’m all but certain that HSV ones will mount just fine in my ute (ZW-07-RN are currently in stock, whereas ZW-04-RN are on 3 week backorder at time of writing). Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0113.png
    IMG_0113.png
    419.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0114.png
    IMG_0114.png
    343.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0115.png
    IMG_0115.png
    407.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0116.png
    IMG_0116.png
    342.7 KB · Views: 82

Pazzu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SS Thunder 2017 VF S2 SS
I don't have experience in pulling apart HSV or standard SS. Maybe asking the wreckers to confrim or anyone here to confrim. But my gut says unless someone is certain that the mounting is 100% the same, the 3 weekbackorder for a piece of mind is worth it. Saves you from mucking about shipping back and forth and having a car unavailable

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
There's no difference between Holden and HSV strut and shock mounts, they're exactly the same OEM Holden.

Given this BC mob don't differentiate between wagon necessity for stiffer rear springs, they don't differentiate between Redline's retaining large diameter sway bars and they're wrongly implying HSV mounts are different, they obviously haven't put much R&D into VF Commodore requirements beyond adjustable spring platforms for variable ride heights.

Unless someone's tracking their car or specifically wants the sharpest handling that'll be rough riding on the street, I try to steer them off racing coil overs as much as the novelty of adjustable ride heights is a good thing. Kings and Monroes will give you any ride heights you like, and they perform extremely well with good bang for your buck on a road car setup.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There's no difference between Holden and HSV strut and shock mounts, they're exactly the same OEM Holden.

Given this BC mob don't differentiate between wagon necessity for stiffer rear springs, they don't differentiate between Redline's retaining large diameter sway bars and they're wrongly implying HSV mounts are different, they obviously haven't put much R&D into VF Commodore requirements beyond adjustable spring platforms for variable ride heights.
Maybe it's just a plug to stop the MRC from kicking in the speed limiter...?

LJW-SVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ ute 6spd
Bit of a worry if BC Racing don't know the difference either.
I heard back from BC finally, and the only difference between the two sets of coils is the lower rear mount hole is a slightly different size between both sets. The regular one is 12.7mm, the hsv one is 14.7mm. That’s it, that’s all the difference. Apparently

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I heard back from BC finally, and the only difference between the two sets of coils is the lower rear mount hole is a slightly different size between both sets. The regular one is 12.7mm, the hsv one is 14.7mm. That’s it, that’s all the difference. Apparently
Rubbish, they're idiots!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Or charge more high end models.