Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hub centric rings for BMW X5 wheels on vy Ute?

Doug Collingridge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Hey everyone, just got some BMW X5 wheels for my vy Ute. The wheels fit fine but the hub bore hole on the wheel is slightly bigger than the commodore hub (only 1mm or so), do I need hub centric rings for the wheels? Wouldn’t all the weight of the vehicle be just on the studs if the hub doesn’t sit flush within the wheel centre?

gluten3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67
Hey everyone, just got some BMW X5 wheels for my vy Ute. The wheels fit fine but the hub bore hole on the wheel is slightly bigger than the commodore hub (only 1mm or so), do I need hub centric rings for the wheels? Wouldn’t all the weight of the vehicle be just on the studs if the hub doesn’t sit flush within the wheel centre?
Actually, it is friction that supports the force of wheels on hubs. If the nuts are loose, then the weight could be on the studs. The centre bore is intended to support the weight briefly until the driver notices the racket of wheel bashing the studs and pulls over to side of the road.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Yes and No.
Yes, the studs will hold the wheel in place, they did for years before centre bores became the thing.
No, you don't need hub rings. But then you don't need comprehensive car insurance either.
A correct centre bore makes locating and changing wheels easier.
Happiness is doing what is the safest option for you.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The purpose of hub rings is to centre the wheel perfectly when you bolt it up. If there is a gap between the bore and the hub then yes ideally you want a hub ring. Only takes a few one thousandths to get vibration at speed. Plastic is fine, you can buy them in a huge variety of ID/OD

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The hub centers the wheel, the studs/nuts hold it all together. Once the wheel nuts are torqued down the wheel shouldn't move on the hub.

edit: ^^^ beat me to it.

You should be able to find what you need on fleabay or that jungle website.

Doug Collingridge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
The purpose of hub rings is to centre the wheel perfectly when you bolt it up. If there is a gap between the bore and the hub then yes ideally you want a hub ring. Only takes a few one thousandths to get vibration at speed. Plastic is fine, you can buy them in a huge variety of ID/OD

yeah had no vibrations yet, the lug nuts centre the wheels on the hub pretty well

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Show a picture of the X5 wheels on the Ute... That is definitely unique!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... No, you don't need hub rings. But then you don't need comprehensive car insurance either...
Too true.
... the lug nuts centre the wheels on the hub pretty well...
That's not always the case as some manufacturers specify noting the clock of the wheel in relation to the hub and also rotating the wheel on the studs if vibrations occur.

As figjam hinted, there is the legality issue of using spacers, hint it's illegal unless done by the manufacturer for that vehicle or it's engineering approved. It could void any insurance payout ;)

Doug Collingridge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Show a picture of the X5 wheels on the Ute... That is definitely unique!
B27FEB8B-975D-41C2-B79B-2553A4F2A126.jpeg