Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Humming through stock speakers??

WiseMaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Pack
Hey Guys I have been installing a head unit/amp/sub in my car, I had it all wired up and it was working perfectly. However, I was yet to mount the sub, so i disconnected the speaker wires, and because I didnt want the amp to turn on without the speakers connected, I removed the fuse (disconnected the + basically) and left the - , the rcas and the remote wires connected as I thought it would be easier to leave them connected, as I had already mounted the amp to the back seats.

But now when I drive I get quite a noticeable hum through my stock speakers?? Now I have had it all wired up before, and disconnected without any problems, the only difference this time is the -, rcas and remote are were still connected. I have since disconnected all cables but still getting the hum.

I doubt the rcas would do this, and the -unlikely, so I think the culprit is the remote turn on wire...

I tried resetting the battery, didnt work,

Please tell me I havnt blown my head unit :(

Surely in the manual it would have a warning about this??? I dunno...

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Is the 'humming' going louder as the engine RPM goes higher? If so that would be a bad earth (aka negative wire). Happened to myself.

WiseMaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Pack
Is the 'humming' going louder as the engine RPM goes higher? If so that would be a bad earth (aka negative wire). Happened to myself.

Yay I solved the problem... all I had to do was put the back seats back in and it is fixed :)

So if you are getting humming through your rear speakers, make sure your back seats are in! lol