Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hungrey brakes

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Rito fellas , throwing this out there to see if if saves me the headache of finding the prob , have a VS ACCLAIM abs , cruise , all that garbage , this old girl loves brake pads an i mean eats em , before you'se all jump on the **** pad wagon i am runnin the same pads on my VT an they are two yrs old an only half down > best i can get out the VS is six months an they on the metal :confused::confused: , calipers seem fine move freely last time i changed , one thing i can throw in the ring ,is that sumtimes when you are driving along its like the brakes are getting slammed on an the front end shudders , can feel it through the steering , and if you stab the brakes real quick it stops instantly . Any ideas even if they are stupid ......

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Is the pedal returning quick or is it a bit sluggish returning?....and if you are driving and put the brakes on, then let pedal up and the push pedal again is there an increase in the free play....reason I'm asking is that sometimes the MC piston can stick if fluid old and gluggy. Are the front hub bearings a bit loose?

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Will be taking it for a drive today , so i will check that ,as the fluid does look pretty foul , thanks for the reply Hako

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Because the VS brakes are way less efficient than the VT brakes,they do a lot more hard work and wear out quicker.I only use bendix or ferodo brand pads.I get from 6 to 12 months from a set of either brand on my VSV6. Both brands will make plenty of brake dust if they are used heavily,but as long as they stop the car in good time,thats all I care about..Ive also found that some cheaper brand pads will cause the brakes to squeal like crazy too,so stay away from them.I bought a cheap set of pads once to get me through to payday,they were $30 from supercheap,and they absolutely squealed like crazy afer they were on there for a day or two,basically just after they had bedded in.The 4 discs were still new at the time and had only just had the first set of pads used on them,so it wasnt the discs at all.I fitted either bendix or ferodo pads a few days later, and they were dead quiet again,Ive never heard a noise from them since.

Last edited:

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Thank for the input Brett_jjj , its good to hear from a VS owner as to how long his pads last ......:beer chug::beer chug::spot on:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
No worries mate.Yeah,Im gonna fit some VE front discs and calipers one day in the near future once I get on top of some other stuff that needs doing to it first.I need to get bigger wheels to begin with..Apparently I wont need to change the brake booster or master cylinder with the VE/VS conversion,so that saves a lot of stuffing about.I looked at the VT/VS conversion,but the booster needs to be cut ,welded and generally modified to fit,so I reckon the VE conversion is the go...

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Great thats sumthing to look into

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
just a bump to see if i missed anyone

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
I have 3 VS Commodores in the family and all get at least 2 years wear out of the pads. I use genuine only.