Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hydraulic Lifter Rattle

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
Humanfly did you ever get round to checking your lifters? My VS 3.8 V6 commodore ticks like no tomorrow and I assume it would be a lifter. How hard is it to change a lifter? How much do they cost to replace (I heard from a mech it would be expensive, like $600 all up inc labour) and what sort or labour time are you looking at to take one out and put a new one in.

i seen complete hydraulic lifter sets (x12) on ebay for 100-130 brand new

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
As stated they are pretty cheap and it'd take you a day to change them. Just be sure it is actually the lifters though. Mine has the typical ecotec tick and changing the lifters achieved nothing.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Yeah mine is like a really loud tick though, like it gets louder than my redback exhaust without a rear resinator when I plant my foot.

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Don't bother about the lifters. It's probably your lifters making your rockers rattle and that's where the noise is coming from. I have had cars have noisy lifters for years. If you change your lifters, then it's ideal to change your camshaft at the same time or else don't bother. As the weather warms up the noise will go away quite a bit.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Nah its pretty much there constantly, but you are right there is almost no point in changing them because it seems to have no effect on the car except for the noise. Only asking because if it was cheap and easy I would do it just to rid myself of the constant ticking.

VN_chris

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore S
My mates VS Has a loud tick at idle that gets worse as the revs increase. there is power loss and the car stalls at the lights. i think its a lifter on the right hand side, what else could cause a rattle form one side?

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Check your exhaust gasket. Might be leaking.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
There can be quite bad rattling from the balance shaft bearings when they flog out. Every v6 engine i have opened has had a fair bit of slop in the balance shaft when you wriggle it, doubt that this is normal.

I just pull the front shaft gear off and the rattle goes away.

Wally1002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Same proble

sorry hako, it can be heard at idle when bonnet is open, however at mid revs it can be heard in the cab while driving, then seems to disappear when you flatten your foot.
i was only thinking lifters as it seems to be coming from the left bank only, and other than that i'm not sure.
yes i have done the oil and filter, as i thought that may have been part of the problem. i also think that i DO need to investigate my bearing situation. the big-end is obviously a possibility. manifold?? not sure about that, i mean it's possible, but my car is pretty clean and there are no other unusual exhaust gas smells or sounds. do rockers ever get rattly if they are lose or worn?? the car has only 170k on the clock, so it's not exactly in the mile high commodore k's department..!! i would expect ALOT more from a Holden..!!
cheers guys, much appreciated!!

I have the same problem Holden told me $3600 to fix (lifters only)it can be lifters or cam I have a 2010 SV6 with only 39000km,s on it but Holden will not warrant it