Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hyper Silver wheels

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Another tip, when you mask them up use blue tape, and not the white gear. The white gear creates hours more work when you have to get it off. Ask me how I know.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The best way is to make up a tool to spin as you spray the rim, this makes the coats even. I painted my Monaro rims and while they came out good, had I known at the time about having a device to rotate them they would have been even better.

An old panel beater mate of my brothers told me about this method last year, and painting rims is what he cut his teeth on.

I'm thinking a full SH front hub mounted onto something would probably work quite well. I have another two I've sandblasted in the shed ready to paint. When I get around to it I will use the rotator device.
Yes, the guys who paint wheels all the time have rotators, often a couple of small wheels the rims sit into on a frame. The guy who painted mine rolled them along planks of wood with the setup taking up most of his spray booth space, not ideal for painting wheels regularly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes, the guys who paint wheels all the time have rotators, often a couple of small wheels the rims sit into on a frame. The guy who painted mine rolled them along planks of wood with the setup taking up most of his spray booth space, not ideal for painting wheels regularly.
Yeah, I'm yet to source the gear to make one for my two spares. Given what I learnt doing the first four I think the rotator on a frame angled at about 30-35deg should make it easiest to have the gun on the right angle while spraying. Even then I will probably think after I'm done what adjustments need to be made to the device to perfect things.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yeah, I'm yet to source the gear to make one for my two spares. Given what I learnt doing the first four I think the rotator on a frame angled at about 30-35deg should make it easiest to have the gun on the right angle while spraying. Even then I will probably think after I'm done what adjustments need to be made to the device to perfect things.
The guy in NSW who paints wheels for Simmons for many years did these (below) and uses rotators. This guy is brilliant on the clear coat, there's not the slightest bit of dry spray, just a nice full and even wet coat of clear off the gun. Obviously he's had plenty of practice painting wheels!

IMG_20170524_161233028.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The guy in NSW who paints wheels for Simmons for many years did these (below) and uses rotators. This guy is brilliant on the clear coat, there's not the slightest bit of dry spray, just a nice full and even wet coat of clear off the gun. Obviously he's had plenty of practice painting wheels!
Interesting he went right to the back edge. I left a 20-25mm strip on the inner bead on the back of the rims as this is how factory Monaro rims come. This is itself is quite tricky to do as the rims are not a perfectly flat circle on the inside, they actually taper ever so slightly so the tape tries to bunch up on the inside edge.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Here's the lighting where the hyper silver bling's and an ordinary silver doesn't, producing an almost a polished alloy look!

View attachment 266718
That is a similar finish that I see on many VE SSV 19’s. Mine are a gun metal grey. I’m not a huge fan of dark wheels but they look better than black and they were a good price. I’d love to have available funds for a make over on them to look like that. I’d convert the badging back to silver too. Mines the same classic sting red.