Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hyper Silver wheels

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@RevNev you'll be like me now, parallel parking takes three times as long as it used to.

Asce

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VF
They were raw wheels bought unfished (bare alloy). I prepped them rubbed them down with 400 and a mate of mine (a retired painter) etch primed them and sprayed them with a 2K white primer. I then wet rubbed them with 800 and he sprayed them with a PPG silver tinter basecoat(D770). The Glasurit Velvet Silver including a hardener was sprayed over the silver basecoat and then coated with 2K clear.
Hey mate! Probably a long shot as this is an old post, but would you know roughly how many layers of base, silver and clear was used to achieve that finish? As you said, it's almost impossible to find any info online and you've done an incredible job on yours, so if I could get it even half as good I'd be stoked, I just don't want to over/underdo anything with such a special paint job.

Cheers!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Hey mate! Probably a long shot as this is an old post, but would you know roughly how many layers of base, silver and clear was used to achieve that finish? As you said, it's almost impossible to find any info online and you've done an incredible job on yours, so if I could get it even half as good I'd be stoked, I just don't want to over/underdo anything with such a special paint job.

Cheers!
The wheels were painted once with the base silver, special effects silver and clear coat, painted 3 times in total after the primers.

To get a great finish, wheels need to be painted by someone who's good at painting wheels as there's a knack to it. Painters who are great on body panels, aren't necessarily good on wheels without a lot of practice I've discovered over the years.

Last edited:

Asce

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VF
The wheels were painted once with the base silver, special effects silver and clear coat, painted 3 times in total after the primers.

To get a great finish, wheels need to be painted by someone who's good at painting wheels as there's a knack to it. Painters who are great on body panels, aren't necessarily good on wheels without a lot of practice I've discovered over the years.
Legend, really appreciate the response! And duly noted.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Was the primer grey or black?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Was the primer grey or black?
The primer was almost white, a very light grey.

The special effects silver is translucent and sprayed over black produces a shadow chrome finish. Sprayed over a light primer and fine silver base, produces the hyper silver finish.

20220625_180809 (1).jpg

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

The special effects silver is translucent and sprayed over black produces a shadow chrome finish. Sprayed over a light primer and fine silver base, produces the hyper silver finish.

View attachment 266644
I know a guy who can polish those. Well, actually, two.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

View attachment 266644
I love them. So glad you didn't have them black. Much classier in the silver, and the hyper silver even more so.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I love them. So glad you didn't have them black. Much classier in the silver, and the hyper silver even more so.
I like silver wheels and I've had a few sets painted over the years, but they were mostly too grey looking. It's difficult to find the right paint codes and processes to result in a bright silver finish. The brightest readily available straight silver I've found is the PPG D770 tinter (below on these Simmons wheels) and we used that as the silver base prior to the translucent silver for the Hyper Silver effect.

IMG_0354.JPG

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Legend, really appreciate the response! And duly noted.
The best way is to make up a tool to spin as you spray the rim, this makes the coats even. I painted my Monaro rims and while they came out good, had I known at the time about having a device to rotate them they would have been even better.

An old panel beater mate of my brothers told me about this method last year, and painting rims is what he cut his teeth on.

I'm thinking a full SH front hub mounted onto something would probably work quite well. I have another two I've sandblasted in the shed ready to paint. When I get around to it I will use the rotator device.