Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I’m looking at buying a VZ 2005 with very high ks

Haydz2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive S1
Hey
So I’m looking at buying my second commodore I currently own a VX 2001 v6, I’m currently looking at a 2005 VZ v6 it’s paint is amazing and body is straight but it’s got 340xxxks on it which is scaring me out of buying it.
It does have a service history and has always been serviced on time but I feel like it’s a bit risky considering its an alloytec? My other option was a VE but I’m not to sure what year models to avoid or if I should just avoid them all together
Any advice is appreciated
Thank you

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
If it is in as good condition as you say and comes at the right price why not. You could buy one with lower k's that had not been treated as well and be worse off. If you are still worried get it checked out.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Perfect paint and bodywork cost far more to achieve than a replacement used engine, when and if it is ever required.
You could find a lower KM vehicle that you enjoy so much it soon become a higher km vehicle, same result. Get a deal based on the higher km and that you expect to have to replace engine in near future, even if not the case. Look for heavy oil staining, they don't always wash off easily if only just cleaned recently, or looked for recently cleaned engine bay that suggests minor leaks are now cleaned off. Also, open the oil cap and see if it looks crusty or not. I've had 2 and both were fine so hard to pick on issues. The higher mileage one 300k is still my daily and hasn't missed a beat and it spotless, not cleaned. The lower mileage one was my brothers', has about 120k. Looks more crusty inside cap and oil always a touch blacker, but also less maintenance. It always had heavy oil staining on top of sump even if you tried to clean it off. But still fine.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Service history and actual condition trumps k's every day of the week.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Engine is cheaper than good paint.

I would stay away from VE now. Too many modules and too complex to fault find on an old car.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you want a VZ they're getting close to 20yo, 340k is totally normal for a 20yo car.
There will be mechanical issues.

I would open the oil cap and check for how sludgy it is, if it's mild it should be fine.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Even if the engine is still healthy factor into your "new old car" budget consumables like brake pads and rotors, shocks, bushings, wheel bearings, serpentine belts, coolant hoses, spark plugs, all oils, fluids and filters....... and such, then double it

These are some of the typical things that a car with high Km of road use may/will require

340k Km is alot of heat cycling and humps and bumps driving down the road

In saying this, finding clean old Commodores is getting hard, I would grab a higher Km clean and straight old girl with a good service history and a nice quiet running engine over a crusty lower Km car, BUT, I would factor in a big slush fund into my budget and be well prepared to drop coin for peace of mind

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If you want a VZ they're getting close to 20yo, 340k is totally normal for a 20yo car.
There will be mechanical issues.

I would open the oil cap and check for how sludgy it is, if it's mild it should be fine.
So are VE’s