Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I damaged brake caliper piston cylinder - see photos - can I have some advice please?

Jado

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series ii
Hi,

With a raging fever feeling really sick I proceeded to change all 4 brake pads yesterday, getting rained on, and with a foggy brain I used a large screwdriver to push open the caliper piston and it cracked a piece off the cylinder as can be seen in the photos below. I then recalled how I did it previously and went and got my g-clamp and opened them using the old pads.

Questions for someone qualified to answer please;

1. Is it fracked?
2. Is it dangerous?
3. How dangerous?

I completed the brake pad change and test drove, works fine, new pads stop great. Did some serious braking too, to test the front caliper that has the chip out of it.

I would just normally change this to a new caliper, but the reason for my persistence to change the pads yesterday while sick and in the rain is I have my wife and baby booked into a cabin on Thursday night, we will be doing a 4 day trip down the south coast.

Do I need to panic and get a new caliper fitted before the trip on Thursday? Or is this minor damage and not to be concerned about to that degree?

20130203133637.jpg

20130203133621.jpg

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Mate I would change it. Take no chances with brakes, especially with missus and bub in the car.

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
mate a trip to the wreckers is in order yeah the chip is fine but how do you know it isnt cracked going back into the caliper

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
1. Is it fracked?

Yes

2. Is it dangerous?

Yes

3. How dangerous?

Let's put it this way. It's cheaper an easier to replace your caliper than live with the regret that a silly decision to be lazy is why you've lost your family.

Do the right thing, Go to the wreckers and replace it.

Cheers
Mat

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Go to wreckers and get a new one. Just remember to bleed the brakes afterwards, lest you find the pedal going straight to the floor.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Definatly U/S. for your own piece of mind, I'd be replacing that without question.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
ill jump on the band wagon and say its FUBAR

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
For the price of a second hand piston and a set fo new O rings and a dust boots... Is it worth finding out the hard way?

Also as brakes get very hot, the heating / cooling cycles the damaged piston will be subjected to (metal fatigue) will more than likely crack it to the point that brake fluid starts to piss out.

Jado

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series ii
Cheers for all the responses, you confirmed what I thought anyway but just wanted to be sure cause its gonna be a hassle to get it done due to my work schedule.