Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I HAD A DREAM haha VK CALAIS my project!

insane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So here it is, I have a VK Calais to build how I want.
But due to the posts bellow I've deleted what it is going to be & my plans & I'll post when it's all finished with pics taken along the way when each step is done.

Easy as that :)

Last edited:

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Have the VT 5.0ltr stroked out to 383 (with the price of blocks these days can afford to replace it so go all out with a 383 instead of 355). & have the 4 speed auto built to deal with 1/4 miles. Why a VT 5.0ltr instead of LS1? Because I think they're stronger engines than a LS1 & the price of chasing performance in a LS1 can sky rocket

That's funny...

Goodluck with your build

JpvvAEa.gif

insane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Think it's funny all you want :) I have the car, the motivation & ability to do just about everything except build the internals of the motor & the interior myself & everything listed is possible.

Plus I know I can buy a VT 5.0ltr & fit it cheaper than I can an LS1 & on top of that I believe the VT 5.0ltr is a stronger block than a LS1 with it's poor bores. If I blow the VT 5.0 ltr I'm sure I can replace the block cheaper than an LS1 also. Plus with a 5ltr it gives me the option to lose the LPG at a later date & fit a supercharger & stay within roadworthy regulations if I wanted to. Not so silly is it ;)

& pics will be taken at each stage of the build but it's a bit hard to take pics when it's the start of the build & not finished.

But how's this I'll delete the subject of the topic & post a topic once it's all finished & go back to the start where I began & where I finished so it looks like it took me a week to build the car instead of starting where I did on this topic & then slowly adding to it for my own record as things get done :)

Last edited:

insane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Starting base

What it looks like now.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 236
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 214

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
good on you for sticking with the Holden V8
LS engines in early Commodores are getting boring. I tend to skip any early Commodore thread when there is an LS engine in the equation.

Whilst you may be a little misguided in your understanding of the Holden engine vs LS, you can get a Holden keeping up with a stock LS1 for very little money. But beyond that, yeah as Ari said it's going to cost a fair bit extra - mainly due to the fact that aftermarket performance parts are low volume, generally limited to only a few Australian manufacturers, so costs are very high compared to any US V8.

My 5L is by no means a big budget engine, only a mild cam, flat tops, even the heads are stock. Most of the money is in the intake manifold. It's good for around 275rwhp - not overly impressive by LS standards. But the funny thing is, I've got video of my humble 5L powered VH sitting up the bum of a 6L VE for several sprint laps around Qld Raceway. Despite this VE making (on the same dyno mine was measured on) roughly 80rwhp more than my 5L, it just couldn't pull away. I realise the VE is a heavier car, but it's a lot slipperier car than my boxy VH, according to the dyno it has an additional 80rwhp and it had a lower diff ratio..... Admittedly at the very end of the straight it just started to get its legs (around 190kph), but it just goes to show that top end additional hp isn't overly useable unless you are going to gear the car low enough to keep the engine in it's sweet spot. And the VE driver wasn't exactly short shifting....

Holdens have small port heads, which work well at low to mid range but the trade off tends to be top end. The LS engines have the larger port heads which tend to yield good results at higher rpm, but at low-mid range they suffer.

Last edited:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
what you need to make a holden v8 more powerful than an LS:
1567100-64-piece-socket-set-sidchrome-19120-0.jpg

and lots of:
money350x350.jpg

good luck and post pics.

That's the story of any car that's about to get modded though.

Yes before you say this will cost more, I really don't give a ####ing ****, they all cost money, you of all people should know this.

Thee reason for the defensive post is due to the way this forum usually works.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
That's the story of any car that's about to get modded though.

Yes before you say this will cost more, I really don't give a ####ing ****, they all cost money, you of all people should know this.

Thee reason for the defensive post is due to the way this forum usually works.

every point youve made is true, and just to throw a spanner in the works (pun intended) id really like to take sabbaths 308 one-tonner and stick an LS1 pcm in it, due to the fuel control parameters. im sure its been done and im sure itll fail, but i cant help but feel we will pull a few more ponies and a bit more fuel conservation just from the way the LS1 PCM operates.

regardless, this thread requires pics.

*edit* and also i dont believ it will actually cost more. when you take into account conversion costs, modding a 308 really would be a much smarter option if youre not planning to bust more than say: 400 fly wheel ponies.