Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I need help with my VR commodore please

LowTime

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive 3.8
i have bought a 1994 vr commodore 3.8L unregistered with a supposed 88000km on it I drove it home it shifted through every gear perfectly I also reliased the cluster odometer wasn’t going up as I was driving the car drove perfectly for 2 days did a few more small drives during that time while we started to do the small jobs required for rego but then the transmission started to get stuck in first or second gear you can’t shift it by doing it manually either then it worked perfectly when my mate that’s a mechanic took it for a drive then took it drive so we took it to our mechanic to get the whole car looked over they said it has to be the shift solenoid so they changed that and didn’t have any change the mechanic told me they have no idea what the issue could be as the the transmission looked like it was in great condition so then they said they would have to take it back apart and find the issue so I took it out of the shop as I didn’t have the cash to risk on a maybe they can get it working so I’m slowly learning how to and do my self but if anyone has had this problem before any advice would be very appreciated the codes it’s reading is 36, 82 and 33 thank you for reading

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
That's a lot of k’s, so obviously a lot of wear.
Have you asked the previous owner if any work has been done on the transmission?

I can't give you any help, but I'm sure someone on the forum will have some ideas.

Good luck.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Likely the TPS.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Code 33 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) high voltage
Code 36 - Vacuum Leak
Code 82 - 1-2 Shift Solenoid “A” Fault - Auto Transmission Only

check the loom at the trans clean the plug at the trans...I dont think the tps would cause the issue you have reported but its cheap and does effect shifting of the trans so prob wont hurt...also check the loom going to the throttle body (tps IAC MAP sensor)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've had four or five failed TPS and the primary issue was not shifting out of second gear.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
That's a lot of k’s, so obviously a lot of wear.
Have you asked the previous owner if any work has been done on the transmission?

I can't give you any help, but I'm sure someone on the forum will have some ideas.

Good luck.
88,000 doesn’t seem like a lot of KMs. But a non working odometer doesn’t help. Annoys me when people say ‘it doesn’t work but it’s only done about 10,000 like that’. Usually more like 100,000+ like that.

just say it doesn’t work and leave it at that.

Last edited:

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
88,000 doesn’t seem like a lot of KMs. But a non working odometer doesn’t help. Annoys me when people say ‘it doesn’t work but it’s only done about 10,000 like that’. Usually more like 100,000+ like that just say it doesn’t work and leave it at that.
88,000 sounds pretty low for a VR. I did see a deceased-estate VS with similar recently. It look genuine (old perished tyres but like new inside).

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
88,000 doesn’t seem like a lot of KMs. But a non working odometer doesn’t help. Annoys me when people say ‘it doesn’t work but it’s only done about 10,000 like that’. Usually more like 100,000+ like that.

just say it doesn’t work and leave it at that.
Silly me. I read it as 880,000!

Mind you, it was 3.15 am:)

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
I've had four or five failed TPS and the primary issue was not shifting out of second gear.
yeah me to.... well only 3 and only 1 tested bad(the original) off the car and no code 19 20 21 ...ended up being the loom to the TB, the mount/suppport on firewall had rotted/broke and allowed loom to dangle supported only by the plugs and tiny pins at the TB(its gets worse if engine mounts are stuffed)
you can test it by starting the car and wriggling the loom around car will run crap then good...but as I said wont hurt to replace the TPS ;)