Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I need some advice... I am in the right place :)

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Like others have suggested start with what you can see.
-engine/airbag lights.
-seatbelts
-mirror/window switches working,
-heater/demister working
-all lights
-tyres
-wipers and wsw pump

Then underbody will likely need
castor bushes, sway bar links, rack boots, strut boots, strut mounts, engine and trans mounts

engine will be rocker gaskets, sump, extension housing seal. Remember oil leaks have to be dripping, if you clean it well enough you might be able to put these off

Just remember the shop will want to find something to work on regardless so I'd just leave them a couple things to do like engine and trans mount, keeps them focussed on major items

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
I remember the fuzz checking my spare tyre and placard like 6 times one month. I remember asking, "Do you even know how to read a tyre placard? What's the speed index on these tyres"

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
What have I missed?
F*ing bonnet struts.
Last roadworthy I got, two of the things the d*ck wanted fixed were the bonnet struts and the wheel rims. Tyres were fine, but I had a pair of steel rims on the front and a pair of alloys on the back. He wanted them all to match. VicRoads have a dedicated RWC hotline and I called them and asked about both things. The dude said he did not know of any reason for the rims. There's nothing wrong with having different rims. He even went and checked with his supervisor who looked it up and agreed there was no law against having different rims. I borrowed a matching set of wheels off my son's car in the end. But back to the bonnet struts - mine were stuffed. I carried a length of wood to hold the bonnet up, which anybody who has had dud bonnet or boot struts will tell you works just fine. The VicRoads guy also said bonnet struts were not specifically a roadworthy item, but if the mechanic wanted to push it, then technically your bonnet is a "door" and all doors have to function as intended.
I've always hoped the reason he demanded the bonnet struts be replaced is because the bonnet hit him on the head.
Call me a c*nt if you want, but I wrote a note to the mechanic about what VicRoads had to say about his decisions and when they handed me the all important pink piece of paper, I handed them my note and I have not set foot there since.
So, my advice: check your bonnet struts and make sure your wheels are pretty. And stay away from the Holden dealership in Colac.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
I remember the fuzz checking my spare tyre and placard like 6 times one month.
Are you on their list, too? I get pulled over for a "random licence check" at least once a month.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
seat belts
seat base
horn
battery secured
demister
steering wheel delaminated
For the seat belts - if there's an obvious cut or damage to them, then common sense should tell you to replace them. If not, then get a lighter and carefully run the flame up and down the edges of the seat belts to get rid of the fuzz that forms.
If you can roll your steering wheel rubber back and forth (the "delamination" @lout mentioned) then take the steering wheel off and get a 2mm drill bit and on the back of the steering wheel, at the top, drill 3 holes, evenly spaced across the loose bit. Then get some E-8000 glue (you buy it online) and insert the needle tip into each of the holes and squeeze as much glue in as you can. Clean up the holes and leave it for at least 24 hours. Good as new. Did this to my steering wheel 6 years ago for the roadworthy and it still hasn't shifted.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Hey I'm new here guys I just purchased my second ever commodore its a VT series II 2001 its unregistered with no RWC ive already started pooring money into it and
have kind of jumped the gun too fast i purchased it from a private seller on facebook second hand from frankston of all places I know.. hahahaha I really need some help withh advice please feel free to inbox me or reply to this thread ill upload photos soon.

THANK YOU! :)
How much did you buy it for?
How many kilometres?
And pics please... It might not even be worth fixing to be honest...