Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I swore I would not modify it.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Previously I had Fords and made many mods and tunes over the years. I have had my Calais V 6litre demo for 3 weeks; 4500 ks on the clock. Brilliant car, best I have ever owned.

Last Saturday I added an x-force SS cat back. Well it did need to sound like a V8 didn't it? I told myself, that's it, don't even consider any more mods. Well that was 5 days ago. Today I added a KPM OTR and had a custom tune. The devil made me do it.

As driven in, stock +X-force 226 rwkw. I was expecting about 210 and the tuner was surprised a bit as well and said they usually see around 210 to 215 but on VFs with much less ks so maybe the motor with 5k was more free plus it already had the cat back.

OTR fitted and then tuned. Same dyno same day etc. A cold day which helped but the car had many pulls for a final 268.6 rwkw and torque about 615 nm. I am rapped. And AFM is now off and it is tuned conservatively on BP98. Street ability is now awesome.

Maybe it's true what they say about running them in hard and the best way of ensuring that is to buy a demo as they have a hard life from day 1. LOL

Very happy I traded the FG.

Bob

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
I was the same, then it was an exhaust, so I got some clubby headers as well. Once i fitted them I had to get a VCM OTR. EFI Live tune.
Now there's a big box of bits waiting to be fitted, complete AFM delete kit, cam, adjustable timing set, pushrods & valve springs. Can't help myself!

RooiLyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F-2 Senator Signature
It's a disease guys, an incurable disease!

I honestly don't think I'll see the day that I own a car and leave it completely stock - there'll always be something to tinker with.

The VF is SUCH a nice car - adding that bit of mongrel to it just makes that little bit special doesn't it?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It is a bug that's hard to be rid of , once you get it , just a bit more then I'll stop .

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
And in a few days it goes in for coated extractors and high flow cats. Should push it closer to 285 rwkw and much more low end torque and driveability. Then back on the dyno for a retune. This old fella likes the sleeper effect of the calais v

Last edited:

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
only issue now is trying not to plant it whenever possible

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
This is the key to an extra 55kW, will put you in blower territory with 0.040" off the heads and e85:

0903gmhtp_04_z%2bl92_comp_cams_vvt_cam_kit_install%2bbolt_that_holds_the_phaser.jpg

If you are swapping cams then may as well get Variable Valve Timing while you're down there! Stock manners, genuinely massive torque (what our car needs), for an extra $500.

0903gmhtp_24_z%2bl92_comp_cams_vvt_cam_kit_install%2bdyno_results_for_big_camshaft.jpg

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Pir4te, is this all bolt on or are there any custom mods to fit VVT to an L77 with AFM?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Pir4te, is this all bolt on or are there any custom mods to fit VVT to an L77 with AFM?

Cam phaser is bolt-on to cam sprocket/journal yes, swap timing cover with one that caters for the solenoid, Davies Craig water pump and repositioned tensioner, patch solenoid to ECU pinout, map with EFILive tune. Best results are with a different cam, it is there right in front of you when you take timing cover off so might as well.

So using stock cam this is a bolt-on modification I think, yes.