Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I think ive made a mistake, inlet manifold change and transmission change.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
Ive just finished doing the above pretty much, i topped up the trans oil, engine oil and coolant.

at first when i started the car it was loud, i tightened the exhaust then it went quiet again..

but i noticed when i start it then engine seems to rock around a bit causing the whole car to sorta shake, its not a violent shake but its noticeable

also when accelerating the car puffs ALOT of smoke... white smoke like fuel aint being burnt properly..

the oil in the car was nice and gold and then as soon as it started it went the foul milk colour again.. is this old crap circulating threw or is another problem now?

the car seems to idle fine at about 800-1000rpm its just a bit shaky and rickety..

i didnt have the balls to chuck it in reverse and go for a drive and see if the trans works.. i think ive buggered up some where

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Sound like the inlet gaskets are leaking if the oil is milky.

did you use sealant on the inlet gaskets??

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
i bloody hope not i thought i put them on good... i used plenty of sealant on all the corners.

the oil was originally milky, i mean really badly could it be just old crap? the oil looked good until it started :/

When you accelerate also the car gives a bit of a shudder but then sort of goes ok when it hits higher rpms..
ive tryed to video the engine movement but you cant really see it.. you can however see the smoke.

also no error codes are showing up.

[video=youtube_share;1auqZC-smS0]http://youtu.be/1auqZC-smS0[/video]

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Are you losing coolant?

If so, it looks and sounds like the inlet manifold gasket isn't seated properly.

Did you give the mating surfaces a good clean with some plastic scrapers and gasket stripper or something similar? And did you tighten the bolts on the lower inlet manifold in proper sequence and to the correct torque?

I did this job recently and I had similar white smoke coming out accompanied by water pissing out of the exhaust, turned out to be condensation build up as the white smoke stopped after taking it for a drive. I'd like to say its the same case for you, but unfortunately your smoke seems to be coming out in small bursts rather than a constant flow of white like mine was, yours seems to hang around more too. The kind of behavior that could suggest coolant going into one of the air valleys.

I did have that same white smoke burst effect and engine vibrations on mine initially, but that was due to replacing the injectors and one being **** causing it to miss-fire. A miss will also cause the white smoke to come out in bursts.

Could be the same case for you, if you're not losing coolant that is. Just a slight miss that you may have not noticed until now because your paying extra careful attention to how everything is operating because you just did some work on the engine.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Run it for a while, get it up to operating temp, and run it for a while, keep a good eye on the temp gauge, then stop it, let it cool down and see if its used any coolant. It may be old oil and water left inside the engine thats made the new oil go off colour and it should eventually burn off as the engine runs.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you losing coolant?

If so, it looks and sounds like the inlet manifold gasket isn't seated properly.

Did you give the mating surfaces a good clean with some plastic scrapers and gasket stripper or something similar? And did you tighten the bolts on the lower inlet manifold in proper sequence and to the correct torque?

I did this job recently and I had similar white smoke coming out accompanied by water pissing out of the exhaust, turned out to be condensation build up as the white smoke stopped after taking it for a drive. I'd like to say its the same case for you, but unfortunately your smoke seems to be coming out in small bursts rather than a constant flow of white like mine was, yours seems to hang around more too. The kind of behavior that could suggest coolant going into one of the air valleys.

I did have that same white smoke burst effect and engine vibrations on mine initially, but that was due to replacing the injectors and one being **** causing it to miss-fire. A miss will also cause the white smoke to come out in bursts.

Could be the same case for you, if you're not losing coolant that is. Just a slight miss that you may have not noticed until now because your paying extra careful attention to how everything is operating because you just did some work on the engine.

i completely drained all coolant and have been filling it up, it seems to take an initial suck when the car is started but then it can be filled back up and wont empty...

mating surfaces were all scraped with a blade, all the scraps were caught in a towel below. the inlet manifold is absoloutely spotless. all bolts were tightened and locktited

i will get the car to operating temp and see how we go....

i dropped the milky oil before, filled it up with penrite and let the car run for a minute the oil went a tad milky but no were near as bad as before. (i didnt drain it all out as soon as the long stream turned to a drip i did up the sump.

like i said ill be back in a minute and ill get it up to operating temp.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
***update!!! just went out there and noticed petrol leaking off the trans bell housing under the car.. i followed the leak and it seems to be spraying out under manifold on the passenger side from one of the spark plugs???

would this cause botchy idle and smoke coming out exhaust??

the oil i put in before has not gone any more milky but it can be dropped another 2 times i reckon.

i didnt get the car hot but no coolant level dropped

**edit** i tryed putting a new spark plug in but it did not work... ill put a video in a second of the leak. **scratch that, my phone aint good enough to video the leak.**

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Geez mate you have some rotten luck. Have a good look in the morning in the daylight. I cant see how fuel would be spraying from a sparkplug, or even getting past the sparkplug to spray out if an injector is leaking fuel into the cylinder, it must be coming from elsewhere.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
its like a pinhole leak and it only sprays while the car idling...

its coming from the passenger side closest to the firewall spark plug area, sort of like from under the manifold....

do you think it could be a faulty injector? ive had a good look with the torch but i cant see under the manifold :(

(ive been having shocking luck with this car you got no idea.)

*also i broke an oxygen sensor today by accident, the wires come out of it but i put them back in the casing and plugged it in. would the car throw an oxy sensor code if it was knackered? could this cause any crud im having?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The only things I can think of that would do this is either a faulty injector o ring or a leaking fuel rail connection.