Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I wanna de-stroke a 3.8

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Well I still got a set of those heads you gave me here.

If you want, I can rebuild them. Give them a good hogging out (Don't expect an idle) and send them your way?

What sort of valve size is going to work the best?

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Heads up

Well I still got a set of those heads you gave me here.
If you want, I can rebuild them. Give them a good hogging out (Don't expect an idle) and send them your way?
What sort of valve size is going to work the best?

They're for you, but if you want to experiment we make good guinea pigs , however....

I bought a pair of heads that were supposedly done by Trick and Mansweto, they look like they have Ecotec valves in 'em..Steve from MACE seemed suitably impressed with them, they were built for a turbo motor, however I have it from good authority that the particular needs we have mean that turbo heads are fine, as we are there for the top end.

If they are genuine T&M they were cheap , if they aren't,they weren't.

They look pretty good and we have the stainless roller rockers that Steve modified for them, we just have to decide on how we are going to cap the lifters.

On another note I bought a 351/C6/9inch F100 Ambo yesterday as a tow vehicle...... I crossed to the dark side....:hmmm:

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Heads up

Now, we mix some of our favorite hydrocarbon with some of that lovely Lake Gairdner air........
and we poke it in

here.........
stage3ITP.jpg

it comes out the big valve ....here
stage3valves.jpg

and it goes BANG.....then it goes out the little valve...and out through here...

stage3zorstport.jpg

then these things go up and down a bit more
stage3wollerwockergirdle.jpg

and it all happens over again, and again, and.....

Obviously the yella Terra rockers are going, Scotty of V6 Vengeance saw them and said "piss them off, I kept poking push-rods through them, you guys will wreck ém for sure"... so we got the stainless steel ones mentioned earlier.....

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
looks like they have been decompressed and clearanced round the valves in the combustion chamber compared to a stock vr head so might lower comp a fair bit

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
yep.

That's where my experience and those who really know their stuff in landspeed go their separate ways, an early mentor who I have mentioned before , Jack Dolan from San Diego ran lots of Buicks in various capacities and was a big fan of th de-stroking job. He , counter to much current thinking didn't get carried away with compression, he liked short stroke moderate comp motors as he reckoned they performed well at the top of their rev range, I can't defend this standpoint with what I know but I trust his judgement based on his record.

If things go as planned and we get this build properly dynoed we will then have proper shift points to follow, hell, we might even use first gear.......if what I suspect going on the cam and those heads this will be a pig low down and so we won't be able to chug away in 2nd gear.............

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Grunt work

Ok. Got started properly on the car itself on the weekend. There were a couple of spots we cleaned up and repainted.The salt is really hard on things , and it doesn't just sit there dry, it attracts water.....so as long as there's some SOMEWHERE the rust continues unabated..... Maybe next year we'll get the frame sandblasted and spray it again but the last three years we've just brushed it, heaps of cold zinc and then a slop over the top with safety yellow tractor paint. No, don't tell me ..." mate, you should get it powder-coated, or do it in 2pack".....powder coating isn't worth sheet , the moment it's chipped it's game over rust starts everywhere under it, as for two pack it'd be good but not really that much better at preventing rust than what we're already doing and when it comes time for a repaint it's harder to get off......so yeah, it gets a paint job like a five year olds finger painting.

I started putting the fuel system back together . We have a 10 litre tank, a high volume steel canister filter and then a Bosch 910 . The tank is full of foam and there is a baffle where the return line enters to stop agitation. We cooked our last pump from what we think was cavitation, that was why the foam went in. Last year just gone the remains of the motor showed signs of a high rev lean out ....when I went to put the line from the tank to the filter on I noticed that it looked as though it had been sucked flat where it took a 90 degree bend from the tank.... I replaced that with a curved right angle bend of steel. Underneath the fuel tank sits a piece of 6mm gal-steel channel which covers the tail shaft...and prevents an ugly outcome if the tailshaft( which is only 100mm from uni to uni ) lets go... I bulked up the way the channel is secured just for piece of mind.....

Up the front I was never happy with the way we had set up the steering column , I ditched it from the two knuckles back and got a fresh one( early Laser) , put another support bearing in and made another hanger for it, now it's possible to mount the tach lower, the whole arrangement is tidier AND it's stronger with less play.The problem with the way the tach was mounted is that it was difficult to find a spot where you could see over it, and not be touching the helmet against the roll bar padding, when that happens your eyes "grey-out" from the vibration and you can't see anything , not blurry, just grey nothing, it's pretty scary the first time it happens. I used to drive the car looking at the track markers about 20 degrees off centre......

Because the car will be going over 200 this year we needed to fit 1 inch wheel nuts. Same size stud but just 1 inch hex instead of 13/16......now you can buy buckets of wheel nuts for SFA, standard ones. The inch jobbies cost me the measly sum of $6 a pop , that hurt buying 22. I can only figure that they have seen wheels pulled over the wheel nuts in crashes to mandate the bigger ones.

Helmets are certified by Snell and need to be within ten years of their cert date , ours is a SA2000 bought in 2006 , so we need another one of them even though ours is immaculate, never dropped or scratched and only worn about fifteen times in anger.

More soon.2roo.

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
Impressive story. I really do admire how much stress these engines need to handle.