Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IAT questions

Max_064

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hey all, I’m setting up a custom air intake on my 3.8 ecotec and the IAT is giving me trouble. Stock is the push in type with the spring retaining clip, but the later model screw in type would be much easier to incorporate.

Does anyone know if the later screw in style IAT is compatible with the earlier model push in loom/ecu?

Cheers,
Max

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey all, I’m setting up a custom air intake on my 3.8 ecotec and the IAT is giving me trouble. Stock is the push in type with the spring retaining clip, but the later model screw in type would be much easier to incorporate.

Does anyone know if the later screw in style IAT is compatible with the earlier model push in loom/ecu?

Cheers,
Max
I can't answer your question. But l'm interested in custom air intakes. Why? I 'm making my own otr.
Interested in seeing pics, if possible?
tia Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe they are. I'm using the screw in type on our L67 with the IAT mounted in the lower intake manifold.

Having said that, I don't think a OTR CAI is the best idea on the V6, it's a tortured path and very long intake system for the engine to have to draw air through.

This is what I created on my old VN before it became really popular by aftermarket manufacturers.
pod-with-cai-004-jpg.39391

What really woke it up and made it work well was the intake pipe that picked up cool air from under the front bar which will also be a high pressure air zone. I added the same intake mod on our VX L67 and that really helped to keep the IAT's in check when cruising as the M90 really is a little oven sitting above the intake manifold.

Reactions: Lex

Max_064

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I can't answer your question. But l'm interested in custom air intakes. Why? I 'm making my own otr.
Interested in seeing pics, if possible?
tia Lex
It's all CAD (cardboard aided design) atm, but I'll absolutely send some photos through when I get a chance, probably Wed.... first day off I've got.

Max_064

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I believe they are. I'm using the screw in type on our L67 with the IAT mounted in the lower intake manifold.

Having said that, I don't think a OTR CAI is the best idea on the V6, it's a tortured path and very long intake system for the engine to have to draw air through.

This is what I created on my old VN before it became really popular by aftermarket manufacturers.
pod-with-cai-004-jpg.39391

What really woke it up and made it work well was the intake pipe that picked up cool air from under the front bar which will also be a high pressure air zone. I added the same intake mod on our VX L67 and that really helped to keep the IAT's in check when cruising as the M90 really is a little oven sitting above the intake manifold.
Love the idea of the bumper feed that's really good, I hope you won't mind if I do something similar.
I also really like the heat wrapping on the tube itself.

Can you define OTR CAI for me? I'm not familiar with the term.

Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
ORT CAI Over The Radiator Cold Air Intake.

On the ecotec V6 motors
iu

Although it looks like a good design, some quick testing showed it suffered badly from heat soak and on the VR/VS model cars it actually had very poor airflow due to the bonnet/grill design. The only way I found to get this to work half reasonably was to remove the plastic strip under the CAI and allow air from in front of the radiator to come up into the CAI as it's a high pressure zone but this does take away air from the radiator for cooling.

I then changed to the MACE CAI which showed a definite improvement over the factory CAI.
iu

(random interweb pics)

This showed cooler intake temps and didn't suffer as much from heat soak like the factory design.

Then add the down pipe for really good functionality.

Somewhere there is a thread I did comparing the MACE and Super6 CAI setups including data logs with air temps.