Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ideas for a squeaky Calais?

ShadowMyst86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
I have a V6 VZ Calais, which has developed a random squeak that my mechanic and I cannot find. It is entirely stock.

When I bought the car, the water pump was on the way out and the timing cover gasket had a slight leak. Neither required urgent attention. A squeak began to develop during this time.

I had the water pump replaced about 7 months ago, only to have the new one fail a month ago.

I took this opportunity to have to timing cover gasket fixed and the water pump replaced. The squeak got worse so the belt was replaced as it had been soaked by leaking coolant. The squeak didn't go away but got quieter.

The belt tensioner had some side to side play in it so that was replaced with a new one but the squeaking continued.

My mechanic found the alternator was noisy and after pulling it apart found the grease had hardened to almost a wax state. We were certain this was the problem so replaced it with a new alternator.

However it is squeaking still. It is particularly bad from a cold start and after 10-15 minutes of running the squeak disappears. There is no noise at idle but starts to make noise from 1200 rpm upwards, particularly noisy at 2000-2500. It still makes the noise when revved in neutral so it is not gearbox related.

If you have any idea what it could be or have had a similar problem please let me know.