Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Identify the squeal in vy 3.8 ute

LukeH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 V6 Ute
Hi all, trying to pin point the source of squeal that’s popped up today in my VY 3.8
Looking at pulleys from front on, pretty sure it’s the AC pulley on bottom right, not the tensioner above it. Could it be just the belt squealing ? Or likely the bearing?
It squeals more under acceleration. Someone suggested a deodorant stick on inside of belt, may stop if if just the belt? Don’t want to do much myself as limited knowledge. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Squeal is usually the belt being loose because the tensioner is rs
Sure you can stop the squeal by giving the belt a quick squirt of wd40/rp7 while the engine is running
(that is a quick squirt, don't smother it)
but that won't remove the problem.

Grumpygary

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy exec
Luke, does your squeal come in at around 200 and disappear around 3000. I'm trying to track down a squeal as well.

LukeH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 V6 Ute
Luke, does your squeal come in at around 200 and disappear around 3000. I'm trying to track down a squeal as well.
Hi sorry for very late reply here, identified as a front wheel bearing. Noise now gone after replacing front right bearing. It was humming when I was steering left, so fix was the opposite side. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Lex