Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Idling problem, VL commodore, 88

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
im also having a bit of an idoling problem, xcept mine will go fine wen i first start it, but after drivin round for a bit ill get to a set of traffic lights and she'll just die one me, always starts back up again. It mostly happins wen i got my sytem up heaps loud tho. i gave the throttle body a clean out coz i thought it might of been that but its still happning. could it b the battery??

RB20DETVL

Reaction score
Website
home.iprimus.com.au
Members Ride
83 VH SL/E soon to be 5L
Id suggest that itd be the CAS (Crank Angle Sensor) which is a very bit problem in VL's due to their age. Has yours been replaced?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Hmm, dies when your pumping the stereo at the lights. Sounds like your not getting a strong enough spark to keep the fuel burning to me.

RB20DETVL

Reaction score
Website
home.iprimus.com.au
Members Ride
83 VH SL/E soon to be 5L
Yes that is what it sounds like, but he did mention that it wont start for ages. This sounds like the CAS to me tho. theroiticaly the car should start if it wasnt the CAS. The CAS ive known to die when it gets up to a decent operating temperature and will not start for ages after until it has cooled down sufficiently.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
I'd say it was almost def the CAS - but as I tell everyone all the time, check for fault codes!!!

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
ohh ok so its the CAS? wuts that? :confused: lol
is it a big problem thats gonna co$$$t, or jus sumfin little n easily dun?

cheers.....

RB20DETVL

Reaction score
Website
home.iprimus.com.au
Members Ride
83 VH SL/E soon to be 5L
should be aight with $200 if it deffinately is the CAS (Crank Angle Sensor). Just check teh wiring to it ot make sure its not just a faulty wire, that may save you some money.

Cheers Phill

B

Bruce Davidson

Commo1 said:
Im having trouble with my commy, she goes, but she wont idle, cant figure out what the problem is, can any one help?
try removing the idle air bleed screw completely, clean oily grime from the end and spray carb clean or injection intake cleaner into screw hole and remove intake pipe so you can make sure entire trottle body is clean. Made massive difference to VK EFI idle hunting when first started up.

B

Bruce Davidson

I take it everyone is familiar with the corrosion that causes problems on the electical plug that pushes down into the side of the distributor, usually when rubber boot is split allowing moisture in. Can cause the RB20 and RB30 to decide not to start one minute and run perfect the next

Last edited by a moderator:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Yep, have to get them to replace that or else it stuffs right up again.

130 bucks for a CAS kit. But I'm still doubtful.. Go and get a timing light and chuck it on your leads.. Watch the strobe and see if your getting consistent spark too all cylinders.

When mine went it was consistent.. It started fine all the time, but was missing cold or hot.