Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

If you want your ecotec cover to look better

dunno vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s1
engine paint is this just the same as hi temp paint????
also how many coats of clear did you guys use is the clear readily availible autobarn supercheap or do you buy from a paint shop
thanks dunno

Thomo

UNLEASH THE LION WITHIN
Reaction score
Members Ride
FAMILY VT & HONDA 04 CRF250
dunno vx said:
engine paint is this just the same as hi temp paint????
also how many coats of clear did you guys use is the clear readily availible autobarn supercheap or do you buy from a paint shop
thanks dunno

They are pretty much the same they can withstand hi temperatures.I used hi temp paint that i got from bunnings.Didnt use any clear coat.Just put 3 coats on seems fine.Not shore what autobarn & supercheap have.
Cheers Thomo

Dave398

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Nickel Silver
I went to Repco. I used plastic prima, 3-4 coats of paint then a couple of coats of clear coat.

It come out well until I got some throttle body cleaner on it and it stripped the paint off. :bang:

I

improvize

Wow! Those engine covers look great. It really is a simple thing to do?

Dave398

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Nickel Silver
You dont have to go high temp paint for the engine cover. High temp paint is for things like the block, manifold etc. The cover doesnt get hot enough to warrent high temp paint.

I used normal auto paint to match the colour of my VX. Check the paint code on the cars placard then find a spray can with the matching colour. Like I said earlier I used a coat of plastic primer, 3-4 coats of paint and a couple of coats of clear coat.