Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ignition barrel died!

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt berlina series 1 V6
Hey guys, tonight my ignition barrel died and can't start car and had to disconnect battery. i konw i need a new barrel, but can you get one that is keyed alike so i won't have 2 sets of keys for ignition and doors? and where is the best place to get one from, holden spares? and how much you looking at?

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Cost me $35 for a
New barrel from Holden and $20 for a locksmith to fit the tumblers to my key.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Cost me $35 for a
New barrel from Holden and $20 for a locksmith to fit the tumblers to my key.

this is great advice, the barrel went on my VT and I had to replace it like this, in the meantime you CAN still use the car you need to pull the ignition apart, sit the key in the barrel and then turn the switch on the back.

Dodgy but will keep you going until you get a new barrel.

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
this is great advice, the barrel went on my VT and I had to replace it like this, in the meantime you CAN still use the car you need to pull the ignition apart, sit the key in the barrel and then turn the switch on the back.

Dodgy but will keep you going until you get a new barrel.

ok cool, but how hard is it to get the barrel out and put back in?

jayko42

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VG Ute, VL Berlina, HT 307 Ute
ok cool, but how hard is it to get the barrel out and put back in?

Take the antenna shroud off around the barrel and plastics around the steering wheel. There will be a depressor around the barrel on the top. On earlier models you have to insert a wire from the side to push it down, on later models (VT-VZ) just push it straight down from the top. The ignition has to be in the 'on' position for it to push down. Once you've pushed it down the barrel will slide straight out. Then when refitting it turn the ignition to 'on' while it's out (you will tell where that is because you will be able to press down the depressor while it's out.

Pretty easy once you find where the depressor is.

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok got a new barrel from holden spares, cost me $45 and i got a new key sender to for $15, not all that hard to do just annoying keeping all 10 tumblers in place while trying to get it back in the mount lol...had a bit of trouble getting old one out of the case had to break it a bit but worked., the problem was the end where it goes into the whole to start car had snapped in 2 plus a little peice from the barrel had broke off and jammed up a tumbler.

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Guys and gals...

How much would it cost to get a locksmith do this? It's bloody easter and my VXII has eaten my key - the key won't come back out the ignition and I can't start the car. RACV says the barrel is stuffed. Since it's easy everything is closed and I'm sure the local locksmiths will charge a FORTUNE, so I guess the car will just be sitting in the driveway for a few days :(

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
Guys and gals...

How much would it cost to get a locksmith do this? It's bloody easter and my VXII has eaten my key - the key won't come back out the ignition and I can't start the car. RACV says the barrel is stuffed. Since it's easy everything is closed and I'm sure the local locksmiths will charge a FORTUNE, so I guess the car will just be sitting in the driveway for a few days :(

If you called one out now you would get charged a call-out fee of maybe $100+ since it's the easter weekend, as you say I think you'd be better off locking the car with a spare set and waiting until tuesday...if you can manage without it until then.

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
If you called one out now you would get charged a call-out fee of maybe $100+ since it's the easter weekend, as you say I think you'd be better off locking the car with a spare set and waiting until tuesday...if you can manage without it until then.

Yeah that's what I'm planning on doing.... the fridge is full of beer, I'm all set for the next few days! I have a bad run of things breaking during public holidays (last time it was the hot water system), this time I'm just going to wait it out instead of being fleeced for craploads of money.

My key isn't moving (the steering column isn't locking either), I can't turn the key into the accessories position to easily get the barrel out like the other guides say. So I'm going to leave this one to the professionals.

Last edited: