Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition barrel. HELP!

K Lewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 1997 VT S Pack; 5 Spd Man
Hey guys,

Today my igniton barrel broke.

Is it easier to get a barrel from holden all made for it.

Or get an uncoded one, and get locksmith to "code" it?

Or what is best way to go about it, and can i buy any barrel.

Also, Is there any possible way i can start the car, with out using key like the igniton barrel, how? I need to get my car home!

Thanks

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
If your ignition barrel broke and you want to buy a new one, then do so from wherever, you will just need the corresponding key for it.
You seem to be talking about the key head which needs to be synced to your BCM. Since you are only replacing the key barrel and therefore a corresponding key, retaining your key head will mean there will be no need for any 'coding'.

Sorry, I can't help you with getting your car started until then, maybe try doing a google search on how to hotwire a VT/VX, not that I'd condone it...

andyos

Ozzie 98 Clubby
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT CLUBSPORT 5.0L
This has happened to me twice, they have a pin that runs from behind where the key is inserted in the barrel to a round plastic holder with wires from the rear of it to start the car and a pin breaks that runs from the barrel to this plastic holder resulting in the key turning freely...
Firstly to get the car started you need to remove the shroud around the steering column.
On the left hand side of the column there will be this round plastic holder with wires from the base of it you need to unscrew it from the column.
Once unscrewed remove it and you should see a broken pin on the inside of it.
Remove the pin.
Put key in ignition (important or car wont start)
Now put screwdriver in the slot where you removed the key and turn and the car will start.
There are other descriptions on here just search....
Hope this helps.....