Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition barrel help!

Itsjoeyvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I posted a thread earlier about my ignition barrel being stuck on accessories and won't budge. I've tried jiggling the steering wheel and trying to turn the key but it's not working. I need my car desperately. I just lost my job and have close to know money. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm located in Dandenong the south east of Victoria. Please help!!

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
spray some wd40 or the likes in the ignition barrel and work the key in out etc and see if you can then turn it.

can you turn the steering wheel all the way to left or right or is it locked?
if its locked then jack the front wheels up in the air and repeat what you are doing

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
As in the other thread, you still haven't explained your problem clearly and that is why you are getting replies like the one above because he is not aware that the key turns but it doesn't move the ignition switch because the shaft of the barrel has snapped off.
You were also given a temporary solution in your other thread.
The inner rotating part of the barrel, that turns with the key is stuffed. The tip of it has snapped that turns the electric switch.

To get U out of strife, remove the steering column surround, then remove the grub screw holding the black electric switch. Now U can turn off the car by turn the black ignitin switch off using the key or flat blade screwdriver.

whether U replace the inner barrel part urself or get a lock smith to do it, U can start the car now by inserting the key into the barrel as normal and rotate it so the keyhead contacts the metal ring, then turn the black ignition switch with a screwdriver.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

Itsjoeyvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Where is the grub screw located? I had a look and couldn't find anything? :/