Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition barrel housing removal

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
The cast ignition housing on my Calais is looking scratched and shabby, I want to remove to repaint it but theres a circlip keeping it in place and its under pressure from a spring. Theres not a lot of room to maneuver. Has anyone got any tips on how to go about removing this? A tool which will help?

Or am I better off masking everything up and repaint it where it is?

Cheers

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Don’t know but maybe the VK lock is similar to the VL lock, if so maybe this will help

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
Don’t know but maybe the VK lock is similar to the VL lock, if so maybe this will help

It looks identical to the VK, but he doesn't remove the cast housing. Just the ignition barrel.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
It looks identical to the VK, but he doesn't remove the cast housing. Just the ignition barrel.
Yes, true, I misunderstood.

Sadly that video provides no hints but looking at another video for a GM column from something close to the period of your car seems to indicate the whole column must be removed :eek: Have a look here as it may give you an idea.

Obviously yours would have a collapsible column so it may be possible to just remove the top half of the column but I’m not sure. Hopefully someone else with a VK will chime in with some personal experience on this as a quick searc( on YouTube hasn’t yielded any results.

In any case, if you are going to do it you might as well do it correctly :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you're referring to the coffee pot,(ie the section that houses the ignition switch assembley) just remove the circlip....Hold the spring with your fingers, because it's not under that much tension.

Just for future reference, that you tube video skylarking put up, if it wasn't for the bottom of the dash being in the picture, I'd swear it is a VB.....So from that VB through to VL are identical

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... Just for future reference, that you tube video skylarking put up, if it wasn't for the bottom of the dash being in the picture, I'd swear it is a VB.....So from that VB through to VL are identical
Pure luck as i couldnt find a specific VK video for OP.

GM never reinvents the wheel... re-use is their motto ;)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Pure luck as i couldnt find a specific VK video for OP.

GM never reinvents the wheel... re-use is their motto ;)

It comes in handy fiddling around with older stuff.....Helps clear up little issues, like finding a specific model video when it comes things like this.

And re-using....Saves money in development costs;)

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
If you're referring to the coffee pot,(ie the section that houses the ignition switch assembley) just remove the circlip....Hold the spring with your fingers, because it's not under that much tension.

Just for future reference, that you tube video skylarking put up, if it wasn't for the bottom of the dash being in the picture, I'd swear it is a VB.....So from that VB through to VL are identical

It felt like the spring was under decent pressure before, but I'll give it a go. Cheers.