Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition barrel in Ve locking as i turn key

Marras

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
If found the thread I did on it.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vn-vz-ignition-repair.280251/

Reading through it, I also used lithium grease by the look. I might edit that to add in better alternatives so others can do it better.

Of note is that there was grease in it when I removed it.

I’m guessing here @Marras, but heavy lubricants are “ok” on the mechanical parts? On the critical pins and small movement bits inox or some sort of dry lubricant should be used? Or is it better to keep greases out of the assembly all together and just use dry lube Inox on everything?

*Of note: That link is still relative to the VE as it is still almost identical to models previous.
Where the key is inserted into the barrel with the wafers/pins are yes do not use grease.
On the outside of the cylinder (which is what the barrel with the wafers is housed in) is ok to use grease as the manufacturer does, but Inox will also lubricate those parts. Just don’t flood it.

There is always exceptions to this though as sometimes flooding an old lock with Inox may dislodge gunk that is stopping the barrel from operating correctly.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
when my 20 odd year ignition barrel started to jam in my vs ute few years ago i just pulled it out and took it down to the locksmith with the key in it to get the same cost me 90 odd bucks and i will do the same to the vz when thats starts to jam

this is my old barrel with one of my old keys
bdsdWCR.jpeg