Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ignition barrel or switch? starter motor?

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
Hi guys

Hubby just went out to start the car. Started fine, but there's a loud noise which sounds very much like the starter motor if you hold the key in the start position. Noise didn't go away while driving. Stops when the car is turned off. Could it be the ignition barrel or switch not disengaging the starter?

Thanks.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Could possibly be the starter gear not disengaging. The shaft gets a build up of crap on it and the small gear sticks. Pull the starter out and clean it up but don't put any grease on it, use dry lube.

Or look at the key when it has started to see if it springs back to the "on" position. If not, then it will be in the switch.

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
Just took it to the Auto Electrician. Apparently the starter motor is 'meshed'.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi guys

Hubby just went out to start the car. Started fine, but there's a loud noise which sounds very much like the starter motor if you hold the key in the start position. Noise didn't go away while driving. Stops when the car is turned off. Could it be the ignition barrel or switch not disengaging the starter?

Thanks.

how long did he drive it for?

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
I had the same problem with mine. So i pulled it apart and cleaned it all up with petrol and re greased it and put it back together. Its been great ever since. Not a hard job. I didnt have a second pair of hands tho.

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
We replaced the starter yesterday. The drive gear (think that's what it's called??) was stuck out. The new starter sounds fantastic. :)