Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition barrel problems

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
I'm on an all time high run of maintenance problems at the moment with my VS...

This weeks problem is the ignition barrel.

I was having trouble putting the key in the last 2 days...now it is completely loose but not moving anything.
It moved once and the now the accessories are stuck on!

Sorry if this has been posted before, but most seem to just get jammed. This is turning but the contacts aren't moving.

Need advice, what is the best solution?

I could just bang in another, but I would pay more to keep my key as I really need it now because my central is on the blink too!

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
i had the exact problem with my vs not so long ago mate.

One day it became so bad i couldnt turn my car on so i went to a locksmith and got a new barrel installed.

Best thing i ever did and it was relatively cheap (just over $100)

So yea my advice is replace the barrel asap, if you can get the key out too that would be great

scozz76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
A new barrel is required. You'll probably find the end of the rod from the barrel has snapped off and still wedged inside of the ignition switch.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There is a little hook shaped tab on the end of the barrel that breaks off.

You can replace it yourself if you are handy. About $60 for a new barrel, and it comes with all the pins to key it the same as the old one. Or you can put the old pins in the new barrel if they aren't too worn.

Seeing as it is jammed you may have to drill the bolt out to get the old assembly off, if you can manage to turn the key to ON, the barrel will slide out with the insertion of a pin into the hole on the side of the barrel.

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
The key isn't stuck in at all.
The mechanism is completely loose and can move from on to off, but its not moving anything inside.

Either way, its the barrel, and a new one should be okay to whack in if I can still use the same key.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
on the topic of ignition barrels , i have another question.
My steering lock does not work. I think this is because the barrel does not pop out like it should when turned to off. Can this be fixed by replacing the barrel ? It thought maybe a spring has broken or something but i got no idea.

tt460

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
The key isn't stuck in at all.
The mechanism is completely loose and can move from on to off, but its not moving anything inside.

Either way, its the barrel, and a new one should be okay to whack in if I can still use the same key.

A locksmith can do that, not mr minit or the other types of places you see in shopping cetres that cut keys

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
I just cannot get that barrel out.
The ignition switch is stuck on ON (the key can still move on and off anf come out) and I put a nail in the whole, but it will just not come out.

If I drill it out, is there any way I can still keep the key?
I can't take it to a locksmith, because I can't start it...

I'm a member of RACV Roadside, maybe I can con those guys to come out and get it off...LOL

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The key has to be in the on position for the barrel to come out. If it won't come out, then you have to take the whole clamp assembly off and that involves drilling or grinding the head off the bolt. You can still use the same key, but you will need to get the pins out of the old barrel and put the correct numbered ones in the right order into the new one.

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
I finally got the son of a bitch off.

I took the ignition switch off the back and jimmy'd it back to ACC instead of full ON.

Where do you get the barrel with the pin set thing??
The only ones I can find just come with a new set of keys.

If you have to get them from Holden then I'm in trouble because they're shut this weekend for stocktake.

I just bought a new barrel and key set from Repco, because I had to get going.
Maybe a locksmith can change the pins in the new barrel to fit my old key or something if I'm lucky?

Last edited: