Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition Barrel Replaced Engine Will Not Start

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
Hi Guys,

I installed a new ignition barrel today all went well until I tested it all goes good but the engine will not start the key reader was also replaced with a new one from Holden.

What's gone wrong ???

I get all the lights but no start.

Brenty88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v8 ute
Because it's linked to your computer you need to have the same key head as your old one but the shiney metal thing is all that needs to be replaced with the barrel.

Cheers Brenton

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
Because it's linked to your computer you need to have the same key head as your old one but the shiney metal thing is all that needs to be replaced with the barrel.

Cheers Brenton

I have not replaced the key head only the key blade so I am using the original key head so why won't it start then. ?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The only time you will need to have a new ignition keyfob programmed is when the BCM is replaced with a new one, the BCM and keyfob have to have matching security codes before the BCM will allow the immobiliser to disarm. If a second hand BCM is fitted,the BCM and keyfob must come from the same car so they match eachother. Just changing the key reader wont effect the BCM or the ignition keyfob,as the reader only does just that,it reads the fob for the BCM,then the BCM decides if the key is the proper one or not to allow the car to start.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Is the metal ball part of the key head touching the metal ring on the key reader? And is the key reader plugged in?
You should have had the barrel cylinder coded to your old key blade, now the ignition key and door key are different.

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
Is the metal ball part of the key head touching the metal ring on the key reader? And is the key reader plugged in?
You should have had the barrel cylinder coded to your old key blade, now the ignition key and door key are different.

That was the problem the metal ring was not touching the key as it was stuck I have now unstuck it and the car starts phewww.

Thanks for your help guys.