Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ignition barrel wont turn

Holden vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Berlins
its starting to happen on my vz should i change it,,,,,or would it be something else?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If you mean the barrel is jamming then yes best to get a new barrel.

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
I just did my 2004 Acclaim (so the original lasted 17 years until i got stuck at Woolies for half an hour trying to turn the damn key… it was playing up for months before that). Got an original GM barrel from Holden, but not as cheap now as I’ve been seeing on this forum, at $135. It’s easy enough to do yourself. You can get a new barrel and new keys cheaper from the regular shops but i reckon they won’t last/or difficult to install.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Repinning the barrel to your existing key is time consuming but easy, and good fun. I did a thread on repinning the barrel.

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
Ha ha this one takes me back. Happened on my VZ V6 on a hot day. Old mate former NRMA guy told me to get a little plastic hammer and tap the centre where the key goes in rigourously. I did that I was on way. For the duration of my time with that car that little hammer was on the floor in the back. Just in case. I was told graphite powder was not a good thing to do.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Ha ha this one takes me back. Happened on my VZ V6 on a hot day. Old mate former NRMA guy told me to get a little plastic hammer and tap the centre where the key goes in rigourously. I did that I was on way. For the duration of my time with that car that little hammer was on the floor in the back. Just in case. I was told graphite powder was not a good thing to do.
So reviving an old thread, but wanted to see if there was more to it. Replaced my barrel about a year ago and it's just started to do it again. Last year I thought it was to do with locking/unlocking using the key, but I've had the keyless fixed, and it's done it again. Both times it's happened have been on hot days. Could the heat have something to do with it?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Average parts quality and coincidence.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Average parts quality and coincidence.
fanstsic.
Nah, I bought the same barrel when I did the one in the wagon, and had no issues with it even after it came off the road.
So with a bit of *cough* finessing, I got the car started and drove home. Got the barrel out and it looks like the locking pin at the back is getting stuck. The key turns fine, it's just that initial point. Might try taking it to a lock smith and seeing what they can do with it.