Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition leads

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
Just a quick one, are genuine Holden leads the go?

Or Bosch?

Or are genuine Holden Bosch?

Cheers

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
You'll need to look at the part number and then you can work out who the supplier is...

max101cfh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx equipe s2
I use Bosch, just got a set the other day cost me $82. I usually change my leads every 15-20 thousand KMs never had a problem with them

max101cfh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx equipe s2
Every 15-20 thousand seems a bit overkill?
I usually do a major service every 2 years (that's when I change the plugs and leads, air filter ect) regardless of km as I don't drive my vx that often (when I do drive it's long distance) and a oil change every 6 months just to make sure everything is fine. I know it might seem excessive and not everyone does this but I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
top guns are working fine on my car.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I usually do a major service every 2 years (that's when I change the plugs and leads, air filter ect) regardless of km as I don't drive my vx that often (when I do drive it's long distance) and a oil change every 6 months just to make sure everything is fine. I know it might seem excessive and not everyone does this but I do.
Fair enough mate no harm in doing that

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
I had 1 lead fail and it took me ages to figure out the connector to the plug had corroded into near nothing...Only played up in the winter, first I thought it was the rear muffler delete.... when engine warmed up the downed cylinder kicked in usually after about 5- 10 minutes ... I pulled each lead 1 at a time and got nowhere ,then used a multimeter to test each lead and nothing showed up because the probe was contacting the unbroken part of what turned out to be corroded....so I decided to change the leads...I went to the car junkyard and grabbed 8 new looking leads all of the same brand off about 3 different cars ... I started swapping them out ,cut ,stripped to length and reused the old lead contacts...got to the last lead and when I stripped the alloy insulator off the plug contact was corroded and broken...went down to super cheepo and they wouldnt sell me a single plug end contact... but they did have dizzy cap lead fittings ..bought 1 for about 8 bucks and modded it into the insulator... end of story is got it all sorted for about 25 bucks.... Im a cheap bugger...but its worked over a year now no problems... all leads replaced...just my luck...the last lead was the issue...lol...

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I had 1 lead fail and it took me ages to figure out the connector to the plug had corroded into near nothing...Only played up in the winter, first I thought it was the rear muffler delete.... when engine warmed up the downed cylinder kicked in usually after about 5- 10 minutes ... I pulled each lead 1 at a time and got nowhere ,then used a multimeter to test each lead and nothing showed up because the probe was contacting the unbroken part of what turned out to be corroded....so I decided to change the leads...I went to the car junkyard and grabbed 8 new looking leads all of the same brand off about 3 different cars ... I started swapping them out ,cut ,stripped to length and reused the old lead contacts...got to the last lead and when I stripped the alloy insulator off the plug contact was corroded and broken...went down to super cheepo and they wouldnt sell me a single plug end contact... but they did have dizzy cap lead fittings ..bought 1 for about 8 bucks and modded it into the insulator... end of story is got it all sorted for about 25 bucks.... Im a cheap bugger...but its worked over a year now no problems... all leads replaced...just my luck...the last lead was the issue...lol...
Just curious were you using your multimeter to check for continuity or resistance when you tested your leads? You’ll get continuity even with a single strand

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
Just a quick one, are genuine Holden leads the go?

Or Bosch?

Or are genuine Holden Bosch?

Cheers
There seem to be 3 different Bosch leads to fit 3800 engines: black leads with rubber ends, black leads with metal shields and the sporty blue leads. I haven't found any difference between them....