Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition ON over night - anything bad?

Clovance

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2, built 1999, 3.8l V6
Hey guys,

is it not a problem or maybe bad to have the ignition ON over night (every night) to run the blower fan?

Do you think it's good or bad for a special part maybe or sth? What do you think?

And btw do you also know the elecricial consumption for that? Of courae i know that my battery will go flat. But id like to know exactly how long it takes, i have a 100ah battery deep cycle and will run the fan on level 2.

Thanks in advance!

Much greetings

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
Question: why fo you need the blower fan on all night?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'm also curious as to why.
Also, leaving the ignition on will leave your car open to theft, unless you keep the car in the garage in which case you could use an electric fan for whatever reason you need a fan on.

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
yep I want to know why but I think you should get close to having the fan going all night with a deep cycle battery we have 3 wired up in paralell on the yacht and we only need to charge batterys (custom wound 180amp alternator hanging off diesel motor) every 2 days and we run computers lights gps and instuments 24/7

Clovance

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it important why? Why everyone asks why every time actually?
It is because i sleep in the car and open windows are not cold enough for me.

So again my question:

Is it BAD for a part of the car or maybe the engine or whatever to let the ignition turned on all the night every night and to run the blower on level 2?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')

So again my question:

Is it BAD for a part of the car or maybe the engine or whatever to let the ignition turned on all the night every night and to run the blower on level 2?

It'll go flat unforunately, The amperage draw will be to high. I'd suggest wearing less clothes or purchasing one of those USB powered fans and a battery pack of some-sort that you can charge from the cigarette lighter socket during the day.

An I hope your sleeping arrangements turn around.

Chin up :thumbsup:

Cheers
Mat

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You can get cigarette lighter powered fans that draw lil power but are used via the ciggy lighter outlet

So can use the accesories function without turning the car on. The accessoies also powers basic things like radio, but not the blower fan as that comes on the ON function (reds on dash)

I just dont know however if the accesories will keep powered for a long duration of if auto switches off.
Im sure though one can rig up a 12v constant supply override switch though.

eg
Oscillating 12V Suction Stick Down 12V Boat Interior Fan Cooler Cigarette Socket

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina

So again my question:

Hmm ok that is a pickle. My suggestion would be get a hold of some twin core to go from the battery to inside the cab and hook up a 12V fan to that, that way you wont have anything but the fan running and it may prolonge the life of your battery, the only problem is fan motors draw a few amps and even at 5 amps your battery would only last about 6 hours.

Maybe get a small battery operated fan?

Clovance

Reaction score
Members Ride
I already have an electricial fan, but the problem is, the fan does not give me fresh air, it only makes the air a little bit colder.

So turmoil117, you said it takes 5ah? But why only 6h then? I have a 100ah battery. Dont i need just about 30-40ah left to start the engine? That would mean i could use the fan for 12h right? Or were the 5ah just an example?

You still havent answered my actual question:

IS IT BAD FOR THE CAR OR ANY PARTY (BUT BATTERY) TO LET IGNITION TURNED ON OVER NIGHT?

Please dont give me alternatives for my situation, i already have them. Please only answer me my actual question with an explanation. Thanks!

rexxpro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS s2 5.7 A4
I think it would be bad for the car. when you have the ignition on. everything is powered up. The car's computer, all accessories, fuel pump, alternator etc etc. you may end up burning something out.