Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Illegal Spare wheel??

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
Been reading a few threads around this forum.

In the 'Ask the copper' section some dude reckons he got a yellow sticker (defect notice) for having a non-matching smaller spare tyre fitted due to earlier getting a puncture.

In WA and (QLD I think) it's against the law to use odd size rims/tyres on the same axle.

So how does Holden get away with supplying 15" spare tyres to SV6/SV8/SS owners?

Has anyone actually challenged Holden on this matter??

Food for thought.

rgds

Tom

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
An interesting point I have been wondering myself, why get fined for something car manufacturers are doing under the ADR's.

One way Smart and Mazda are dealing with the 'spare' issue is supplying a puncture repair kit, including a can of enough compressed air to reinflate a tyre. Maybe that's a way to get around this issue- everyone dumps their spare for a repair kit. Saves a lot of weight...

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i think holden have ADR approval because they spare tyre clearly states that it should not go faster than 80 km/h

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
I wonder if we all bought the same stickers...

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
correct. there's an ADR for temporary spares (actually it was recently removed, but still applies to those models released when it was around).

fitting a smaller spare wheel, while it may sound logical, doesn't tick all the bureaucratic boxes.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
i think holden have ADR approval because they spare tyre clearly states that it should not go faster than 80 km/h

lol i remember i had the ol spare wheel doing about 120km/h on the skid pan:p she held up nicely:D

i never actually thought of that, my calais come stock with 16's but just double checked to be 100% sure and yea theres a 15in in there, damn hope i don't get a flat.

also is it possible to get 16/17/18 stockies from somewhere?

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
not steel stockies but you can get a 5th alloy wheel from holden or from a wheel place.

Blue-VZSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Sedan
I confronted Holden about the so called “space saver spare” and checked with Insurance company, Holden stated it was only a spare and rated at 80kmh, Insurance company advised if I had an accident with this rim on I would void my insurance due to having different size and type of wheels on the car. I told Holden to place the spare where the sun don’t shine and paid $450 for a new rim then went to Bridgestone and paid $390 for a new tyre. Extended the spare wheel holding bolt and placed in boot then went back to Holden and showed them by having a mag in there was no different and suggested to them it was a money saving ploy by supplying a standard rim as a spare. They would not comment

Last edited:

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
Thanks for your comments Blue-VZSSSV8,

I last week bought a new SV6 rim for $243.51 from Holden and I have since found a good source of 50% remaining tread Bridgestone Potenzas which sost me $50 so i'm happy with that for now. I bought the alloy wheel retaining bolt for the spare and that was $8.

That insurance issue is an interesting one. I might follow mine up my insurance company and possibly get that it writing and produce it to Holden.

Interesting legal issues here for Holden.

Does anyone know if the BF XR6 and XR8's come with a 'bunky' spare??

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Mine came with a 5th 18" alloy:D

but being directional tyres i can only get a flat on the drivers side lol