Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Illumination wire

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Does anyone know which wire I could use from the back of the mylink for illumination? Having trouble finding one. Thanks.,

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
its probably triggered on the canbus, i think there may be one on the light switch but not 100% there isnt much used now days as they just use data to switch most things

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I am fairly certain that the illumination wire is analogue in the vf but you will need a multimeter to probe for it.
I cant test it because i sold my vf but you need to look for a voltage change on a selected wire while changing the illumination setting with the switch.

I would work with the headlight switch wiring because it is easy to access and has the illumination switch and lights that are dimmed by the illumination setting.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
If i remember correctly the Yellow wire in the dash loom is for the illumination

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I am fairly certain that the illumination wire is analogue in the vf but you will need a multimeter to probe for it.
I cant test it because i sold my vf but you need to look for a voltage change on a selected wire while changing the illumination setting with the switch.

I would work with the headlight switch wiring because it is easy to access and has the illumination switch and lights that are dimmed by the illumination setting.
Good suggestion, thanks. Sadly, I can't probe the wires as the connectors are way too small!! I'd have to put a hole through each of them, which I'd be happy to do if I could narrow it down. There's about 4 yellow wires on the headlight/hud switch.

If i remember correctly the Yellow wire in the dash loom is for the illumination

Which 'dash loom'? Thanks :)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yellow wires can also be airbags so be very careful if ur probing any, is there a 3 wire unused plug on drivers side bottom of radio unit ? some have smokers pack wiring which should be power/earth/illum ?

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Surprised this hasn't been asked yet. What and where is it your wanting to put this thing that needs to be illuminated?

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
According to the Chev ss Manual online, fuse 19 is "Steering wheel controls backlighting". Use an Add a fuse? Doubt what this fuse does would change when Holden installed the box on the wrong side of the car...

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
According to the Chev ss Manual online, fuse 19 is "Steering wheel controls backlighting". Use an Add a fuse? Doubt what this fuse does would change when Holden installed the box on the wrong side of the car...
I've just packed up for the night but this is next on the list.
yellow wires can also be airbags so be very careful if ur probing any, is there a 3 wire unused plug on drivers side bottom of radio unit ? some have smokers pack wiring which should be power/earth/illum ?
If above fails I will check this. Thanks so much friends.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

Wire colour is not a global thing, it depends on which module you are playing with and i would highly suggest avoiding playing around with anything that is an airbag module.