Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Important Calculators For Fuel Systems & Tuning Purposes

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So you are starting a new project and you need to work out what fuel system parts you will need to be able to tune your project correctly. There are many great online calculators you can use to ensure your project has enough fuel system (pumps and injectors) to supply enough fuel to ensure you can make the power you are chasing and do it safely (your tuner will ask these questions before any tuning is done).

So first and foremost you need to work out what sort of power figure you are chasing. In my case I'm looking for 400hp using a turbo on a V6. When using boost as a power adder you will also need to know how much boost it will take to run that power because as fuel pressure goes up (when fuel pressure is referenced to manifold pressure) fuel pump flow decreases. More pressure = less flow.

Then you will need to work out injector sizing. Again for this you will need to intended HP, number of cylinders and fuel type etc

So for my little example, A 400hp V6 with a little turbo cranking out about 15psi I would need
- A fuel pump that can supply a minimum of 168 LPH @ 58psi
-fuel injectors that flow at least 51lbs/hr (bsfc .65) @ 80% DC

As it so happens I have a 255LPH (free flow) fuel pump in the garage which gives me plenty of scope for more power however my set of 36lbs injectors are going to be to small and I'll probably need to upgrade to 60lbs/hr to match the fuel pump.

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Good info to be compiled here.