Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving the handling on a ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
KYB's are on, gotta love having a pit. Interesting part is the KYB's are about 25mm shorter than the Monroe's. Hopefully it's not an issue because the part number is the same for FE2 and standard. On another note the springs have settled and have dropped 10mm. If they drop another 10 then the ute should sit pretty level.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Even better to have access to a hoist ! ;);)

But a pit is better than laying on your back all the time that's for sure.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes well hopefully one day. New shed will be built to take a hoist. Actually getting one installed may not have a timeline though as it will be $10k to get power on and the shed wired up, before the hoist can be ordered. Chances are the new house may come before luxuries like hoists. :(

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hoists require a massive thickness of concrete underneath them to secure them properly to the floor, so you really need to factor that in when doing the floor surface, or it will require a lot of re-work afterwards. Pre-planning is always a cost effective way of doing things opposed to how our Southern Expressway was done if you remember that money wasting one way freeway that got eventually duplicated and then cost over 4 times as much.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
yeah from what I understand is the hoist bay will require 200mm thick concrete. I'm thinking maybe 2 strips 1m wide and 300mm deep with reo bar and not just mesh. And yeah this is another reason the hoist will be fitted down the track the cost of the floor will exceed $10k.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
You've got it sorted I'd say. :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah hoist is a luxury but as long as I build a shed high enough, with the right footings when I do have the coin I can throw it up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick update, the KYBs have made the ride more comfortable again. It's better on corrugated roads as well. Only thing is I'm not sure if it's making the back end feel like it's wanting to slide. It doesn't feel the same but the roads were wet today so that may have been why it felt weird.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
KYB's are on, gotta love having a pit. Interesting part is the KYB's are about 25mm shorter than the Monroe's. Hopefully it's not an issue because the part number is the same for FE2 and standard. On another note the springs have settled and have dropped 10mm. If they drop another 10 then the ute should sit pretty level.

Interesting what you said losh1971, a while back I queried King Springs about me wanting to change my standard springs to FE2 specs and I wasn't sure about shocker size to use. I was told to fit their front and rear low springs which were about 30mm lower than standard which they said equaled factory FE2 height and to fit the shorter Monroe gt sports shortened shocker.

I ended up using the standard heavy duty springs on the rear with airbag inserts for large loads with the standard monroe gas reflex shockers. Monroe did list 2 different part numbers for the standard and shortened shocks.
I measured the eyebrow height of the car before and after install and it didn't change in height. So for me the king springs were equivalent to the factory originals. The settling of height would be from the rubber spring pads compressing after some mileage, I was told it would be about 500kms from install.

It seems your KYB's are the fe2 if they are shorter than the monroes regardless of their part numbers and perhaps the lovells are in the same boat. I only trust the original gm part numbers to be on spec, aftermarket companys are not always right on spec unless they supplied the original factory part in production. Even the rare spares parts are not exact copies/specs of the factory original.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick update on this. I mentioned in another thread that I had the panhard rod bushes replaced while the diff was getting rebuilt. Turns out this has made a significant difference to the handling. I wonder now if the trailing arms should be replaced and whether this would improve the handling even more? Or are there other bushes in the rear that should be replaced, which would help with handling?