Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

inconsistent starting

Maddog0077

First Time holden Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excec series II
might have to give that a go i think, i just finished removing the starter & the connections looked good, gave them a clean while i was there, but i dont think the starter has any issues at all, im sure its something to do with the key or ignition barrel or something to do with whatever kind of key recognition this thing has, i dont think it has an alarm system, being an excec.. ?

edit: also i wonder if the fact that the key doesn't always remotely work, seems to be temperamental.

Last edited:

Little Red Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Wagon bog stock
The RAA guy made a comment to me re the key now that I think of it.......
One of the rubber key pads had worn and had a small split in it......said if they get a bit of moisture / dust / fluff from your pocket even,they could act up a bit.
Just to be safe,I've changed over to the spare key ;)

Maddog0077

First Time holden Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excec series II
i dont have a spare, which is unusual for a holden, as the keys are bulky, & hard to lose you would think., id say that the company that owned the car for the first 3 years had them stored somewhere & never gave them back when they traded up.

Little Red Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Wagon bog stock
My Father-in-law damaged his key,and he had no spare either.He just took the damaged one to the Holden Dealer, where they took it,got a new one and "coded" it......or what-ever they call it.
Cost him $100 about 6 months ago.

Maddog0077

First Time holden Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excec series II
Sorry,been away from the computer for a while.
Seems to be a bit of a problem around the place though.
well,on the week - end,after trying about 30 times to get it started.....without success.......I called the RAA roadside assist.
They came out and had a look......a bit puzzled he was.
Tried himself with no luck........took battery terminals off,cleaned the posts,replaced.....no luck........tap battery posts gently with hammer and try again.......no luck.
The "break-through" came when he turned the key,just until all the dash lights came on (before starter motor turns).........he pushed the "MODE" button on dash and held in the up / down buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds.
Then,the odometer started to flash "RE-SET" for 2-3 seconds.
He then turned the key to the off position and removed it,then re-inserted it and it started!
Since then,has started first time everytime......bugger me.
Said he had read it in a "Street Machine" article a few years ago.......it had all various codes / short-cuts for the Commodore computer system etc.
So there you go......hopefully,that's the end of my problem,and maybe it may help some-one else out as well.
Thanks for your help / advice from a great forum.
Cheers ;)

well that didnt work either. it still did it a few times today, it will start then shut off straight away, then have a little bit of trouble starting ? or not turn over at all ( no clicking either) .