Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

indicators go off when break applied ??????

Spin

Reaction score
Hey guys. I know that electrical shorts can occur at any time and are a pain in the butt to trace and fix but,..... i was wondering if the following problem was indictitive to VL's and is a common fault with a common cure or if i just have bad luck.

No mater if the ignition is off or on , when the break is pressed both internal indicator arrows light up on the dash. At the same time, both out side ( front & rear )indicators glow faintly with no flashing....just constant soft glow.
When the indicators are working ( turning a corner ) and the break is applied, both indicators go off and remain off untill the break is released.
While driving at night with the head lights on and the indicators are activated, they blink only very slowly and again if break is applied they go off.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

be good stay safe

Spin :b:

customcaraudio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais with alloytec 190
Check out your earth on the rear lights. happens alot with other commodores ie the vn commodore 2 lights go out when brake applied. Just a bad earth. Have a look in ya workshop manual for colour codes. Black is ya earth make sure it is well bolted or even splice it and put in another, has worked for me b4. good luck

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
i dealt with similar issues where by when the brakes were on on the VL it would blow out fuses no end. Similar to what custom said above, check the tail lights, VLs are bad for damp boots and water in the lights, even the slightest bit can affect earthing etc. pull the globes out and check it out, if they are too rusted or corroded chuck them out, wreckers will usually have some good ones sitting around get the whole lot for about $5 and hook them up, making sure the wires are connected properly(dont twist and tape!! solder the damn things!) -j

Spin

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i spose me washing her on the week end caused the problem. Ill rip out the rear tail lights this arvo and have a look. thanks again.

be good stay safe

Spin

Spin

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have checked all bulbs and bulb housings. all OK. I have looked for earth points but i have no idea where they would be. The manual does not show ( or i cant see it ) where the earth points are. For a complete auto electrical novice like me, should i be looking at the back of the car, the front of the car or in the dash board????. Auto sparkies cost so much....:(

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Here you go, close up pic, as you can see the bit thats taped/ is where I twisted/ soldered the wiretogether. It was a bit loose in the harness, but we took it out and connected them straight up and it worked fine.

Black wire I think it was. Just wriggle that harness around.

Excuse the rust proofing stuff, it looks messy.

Attachments

• 100_0984.JPG
    100_0984.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 229
  • 100_0985.JPG
    100_0985.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 327

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Have you played with or installed a trailer wiring harness or connector? Could be an issue here. Check for shorts in it if you do have one.

Spin

Reaction score
Hey guys. Success !!!!. you were all correct. thanks for the pics, it was a short in the 6 pin connector housing....exactly as shown in the pics . The male earth pin had been pushed back and was only just touching sometimes.

all fixed now.

Thanks a lot people. your advice and comments were and are welcome.

be good stay safe

Spin