Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Information required!

Interloper94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
So i've been wondering about a few things lately,
If i were to pull my ecotecs heads off to replace with ported and polished heads, if i found out the deck was warped, would i be screwed short of getting the block machined?
Does anyone have the distance from plenum to the back of the valve? thinking of a twin plenum intake manifold that bolts on where the plenum currently does, don't want to kill performance, i know i wont gain much buts its for practicality sake
any info on these questions would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
Sounds like a bad dream to me!

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd highly doubt the decks would we warped although the factory tolerances probably aren't that great either. At the end of the day a factory type head gasket will allow for not totally perfect head and deck surfaces.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It's an iron block, two tenths of F all chance the the block would warp unless the block was melting.

How is a twin plenum more practical?

Interloper94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Twin turbo with water to air barrel intercoolers, just would prefer transient response over peak power.
Thanks for the info on the head swap, didn't realize it was that hard to warp them.
Gotta see if a dream is plausible first before i try and make it reality

TheBigBopper

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Series 2 VS V6 Executive Sedan Stealth Weapon
hey dude if you've got such concerns about a v6 block warping then your just not telling us the motor in question has been given an absolute flogging on a drag track all day long with no coolant and the handbrake on as well! in which case id say just grab another block from just the corner store for a good price however making sure more importantly it stands out as being the pick off the bunch not whether the block is warped matey...closely inspect it in good light and ask questions like how many kms any history info and then youll now be alot confident in your projects starting point this time around

second thing this twin plennun contraption you some how ended up with in your upgrage parts bin sounds like something someone has churned out on eBay so i hope it came with every nut bolt bolt linkage needed to make it a reality an assembly diagram would be fantastic help as well. hey it good be real good well thought out upgrade or just something that was never that accurately machined to slot straight int place with no annoying alignment errors... howevever with no quality contol either but was sold as plug and play. and is know 1 thing once fitted the its gonna result in some major reprogramming tuning to get the full benefit from its design let alone addressing engine problems that will automatically appear from first start naturally after such a big change from stock.

so good luck and stick with it and have fun let us know about any wins or dramas ok bud!?

i reckon before you start ripping any heads off see the bolt on is gonna work out or make you wanna hunt down the welder... then when you know were you stand here get the bolt up and off to the motor to the side to tackle the heads job...