Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ingition wire near lighter dead

SJD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden Astra
Hi All,
I have a 06 Astra and I changed my lighter socket to being powered on only when ignition is powered.
It has stopped being powered, and I have no idea which fuse takes care of this wire.
Does anyone know the answer (lighter works fine when I change it back to being powered all the time)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Is the car running?

SJD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden Astra
Yes. There is a fire that runs near the ciggie lighter that is connected to ignition power. I had it running to the lighter so I could power 12v items only when ignition on, but it has stopped being powered. Catch is I ca only find one fuse for the cigg lighter and that is fine (but is permanently powered)

SJD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden Astra
wire, not fire

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, but you changed the source of the power. So the blown fuse will be on what ever you tapped into.

I’d suggest doing what you have done can be dangerous. Each wire can only handle a certain amperage. Like a pipe that can only handle a certain pressure. Too much pressure and it splits. Too many amps, the wire heats. Sometimes melting the insulation around the wire and shorting out the circuit or starting a fire. It will happen near instantly in a not cool situation.

You’ll be well advised to leave it how it was designed.

The accessory circuit will be what powers it. It should not be connected to battery. Factory won’t have that wired to constant 12v.

You’ll need to go through all the fuses with a test light or multimeter set to test continuity with an audible sound.

Follow this guide if you are unfamiliar with multimeters.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+To+Use+A+Multimeter/25632

Or

Please don’t put a higher rated fuse in if it keeps blowing. Super dangerous.

12v constant (no key in the ignition) = avoid.
Accessories 12v (keys in the ignition and turned to accessories) = should be used as designed.
Ignition 12v (keys turned with dash lights or car running) = avoid because those circuits have a measured load to keep the car running.

If the fuses are all good throughout the car, then check relays.

SJD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden Astra
The spare wire runs along side the cigarette lighter wires.
It is 12v ignition rather than 12v permanent, and the forums recommend using it to make the lighter socket only live when ignition is on.
Thank you for trying to help.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That is a super not cool idea.

It needs to be 12v when switched to accessories. (That is different to 12v constant) It’s an automotive standard.

Are you confusing accessories for ignition? Ie with the key turned but not started or dash cluster lights on.
Radio, lights, interior lights (often powered via a switched earth in the BCM. It will time out after a few minutes and disable the power on accessories.)

Please don’t use ignition 12v to power accessories.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cigarette/12v socket fuses are found in the back. 29, 30 & 35. Three circuits.

However, if you’ve tapped into a different circuit with 12v only with the engine running (ignition), you will need to check every single fuse in the two fuse panels. One in the back, one under the bonnet.

Also be careful as some ignition circuits that might seem like they have power with engine running can be CANbus Hi or CANbus low network circuits. That is lower voltage that all the modules talk to each other through. You don’t want to cause any damage to those or it gets expensive very quickly.