Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Install a catch can on a ecotec V6

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sure is with the PCV valve fitted on the side of the blower.

Needhelp7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 ecotec 1998
Can someone help me with the carbon pollution setup I really can't remember what tubes go where

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Sure is with the PCV valve fitted on the side of the blower.
Hi Immortality, I realise you haven't had the Ecotec for some time now, but in relation to the Catch can install, was there any reason why you sealed off the PCV valve same time as installing catch can via throttle body as shown in original post ? I take it the throttle body can still suck clean air coming through the catch can ? Did you have issues of the reverse happening ? Thinking of installing one as the old motor is really dirty inside now. PCV valve will be replaced. I seem to have either lost the black little restrictor or it was never installed. There is a rubber O ring in there but seems larger than the body of the valve.....not really sure how its staying in there. Thanks again.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate,

The idea was to eventually create an external PCV but I never got that far. They way I had it set up originally it would still have put suction on the crank case but no fresh air source into the crank case to assist in removing combustion gasses.

The problem with the stock PCV valve location is it under constant vacuum from the plenum with no way to collect anything that comes up so it goes straight into the plenum and into the runners etc.

Reactions: Lex

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Hey mate,

The idea was to eventually create an external PCV but I never got that far. They way I had it set up originally it would still have put suction on the crank case but no fresh air source into the crank case to assist in removing combustion gasses.

The problem with the stock PCV valve location is it under constant vacuum from the plenum with no way to collect anything that comes up so it goes straight into the plenum and into the runners etc.
When you had it in between the hose that runs from the intake elbow to the throttle body where that normal hose runs, did you find it cleaning up some of the gunk ? Is the issue because the Catch can is only one way flow ?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
In the end that motor had a bad intake gasket and the catch can was filling with coolant so I guess it was working and the plenum stayed clean.